Check THIS Out!! (Bergantino Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RTL, Aug 17, 2009.

1. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    There are many of you who have the IP112 or IP310 and wouldn't part with them if your lives depended on it - and with good reason. They represent the cutting edge of bass technology, and they sound AMAZING. In fact, I didn't think there was anything that would blow me away after experiencing them... That was, until I played through this.

http://www.bassemporium.com/item.php?sku=IP3103

I spent a while with this beast on Saturday. It's the only one in existence, and it's absolutely DEVASTATING. I've never heard one cabinet produce so much volume. Ever. It has a 1000 watt amp for the woofers, and a 500 watt amp for the mids and highs. With the gain at 9 o'clock on the pre, and volume halfway on the IP.. It was too loud to stand in front of. It literally made my pants flap. On top of that, it sounds absolutely BRILLIANT at any volume! I couldn't make it sound strained, even at the level to where it was making my keys rattle, which were sitting snugly in my pocket.

Remember how revolutionary the IP was (compared to everything else) when it came out? It's that, all over again with this one. It's really too bad Jim doesn't plan to make any more of these, because I want..... Three of them. :D

2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Wow
    Super loud with just 3-10's is amazing (althought have to admit that my HT322 with 2x10 +1x12 does just fine)
    Was planning to put this at the TOP of the bucket list
    Why aren't there plans to make more?
    If it's a great to me as described, I should be selling a bass or motorcycle but Texas is a long way from MD and am afraid to buy without trying; then again, it is a Berg!

3. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    lotta bucks for a cabinet.....

4. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    It's not just a cabinet. :smug:

It's a cabinet with two Audiophile-grade power amps designed specifically for it. I have more in my current amp and cab than what this one costs, so it sounds like a steal to me. :D

5. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Look at it this way; $2,800 for potentialy the last and possibly best big rig that you will ever want is a steal

OK, that's a lie; I will want lesser rigs just because, but have always desired the best

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I'm just waiting for those modules to come down to a sensible price before I do a similar thing. Unfortunately it looks like a long wait, especially as it can be done outboard relatively cheaply...

Alex

7. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Bollocks!
    From the guys that brought us Neve, Solid State Logic, Marshall, etc.
    Come on mate, you've got some brilliant engineers on that side of the pond and with the economy in the toilet I would think they'd work for you out of pride!

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Why , if it is all that great, was only one ever made with there being no plans to make another...?
    I'd most certainly want to test it prior to any further steps...(if I was in the market for an amp etc )

9. RTL

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    That was the question that everyone was asking. The store was full of discerning bassists (Rob Elrick was there, and many Elrick owners are also diehard Berg fans). The one thing we all agreed on, was that none of us had ever heard anything like it. That thing was freakin' epic.

It may have to do with the sheer weight of the thing (close to 100 pounds, by my estimate), or the fact that it might just be too expensive to offer as a full production model.

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    100 pounds; that's 50kg or there abouts?
    Not too much I recon, if it is a powered cab.
    My poweramp alone was quite a bit more expensive than the price stated.

I guess it may just depend on what market it is aimed at, and yes, margins may just not be good enough...
    I'd sure be interested in trying it tho :)

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Paging Tom Bowlus . . .

FWIW, there is an IP153 for sale in the classifieds. There were very few of them made as well. I've heard they are supposed to be fantastic.

Someone posted something a long time ago that still sticks with me. it went something like: "Jim Bergantino has thrown away or stopped making more great cabinet designs than most other companies have ever produced."

The man is a genius. I have no doubt that this cabinet is incredible.

But I like a little more portability. Or rather, my back demands it.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Jim has been talking about making a cab like this for a long time. I think he enjoys pushing things a bit to see just what can be done, and I think he wanted to do this design as a one-off and not have to think about such things as market viability, or Ken Jung complaining that it weighs too much. :smug: :p :D

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The IP153 weighs the same as the other large IPs. It's amazing.
    This piece must be good. Heard about this one when it was created.

P.S. I tweaked my IP112/EX112 rig by dialing back the tweeter to between normal and - . I tried the Tom B. method of leaving the DSP on "one cab" position which gives more bass, dialed back the bass on my pre to 1/5th on and got super punch room filling goodness. Jim tells us to be careful how much bass we eq. in and I for one didn't really get it perfect until now. I'd say use none and bring it up to sweet!

14. 95 Pounds:eek::D:bag:

15. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

It's in an Ultra-light cab - my prediciton - IP ER ULs coming soon! You heard it here first.

Sick, just sick...then there's the 153...

And I'm not greedy like you, I only want 2...

Cheers,
    Cameron

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    ;)

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'm still not sold on powered bass speakers. I like modularity for future situations.

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    They sound so good. That's the thing. They do provide a different form of modularity in that changing pres is significant. I know what you mean head one or more cabs depending on what you need. Except for portabilty I could get along with the IP310. it sounds just great at coffee house volumes as well as being able to do outside no PA gigs.
    Sometimes rolling in one cab beats carrying two littles. I find the dimensions reasonable the shallowness helps.
    The IPs have made me gas free. If I hadn't found these two different great pres I could be gassin' but that would be fun.

19. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    If you can swing it do it! The IP153 is effortlessly articulate. IPs sound like what you put into it. Believe the OP!

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Beyond mixing and matching, I also think about things like...well...if the amp dies, then both my amp and my cab are out of commission. I'd rather have one or the other go, then I have more 'plan b' options in case of... If a head goes on a gig, then I can grab my spare or sometimes find one to borrow. If an integrated amp in a cab goes, then I'm screwed.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021