Check this out. E-bay, not mine

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletch, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Now there's something you don't see everyday.
  3. wow that is really cool, if it works i would sure love one
  4. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I could see that possibly working if modern earth magnets are used so the thing doesn't move.
    There needs to be some type of mechanism to keep the fretboard in the exact same spot everytime.

Do a search on google for magnetic fretboard....
  5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  6. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's friggin sweet. I hope someone perfects that idea.
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah those are novatone FB's... back in the 90's one of my friends that was getting into microtonal music was interested in having some 22 fret, 19, fret and 31 fret FB's made... He has since had them made as separate guitars instead.

I think that John Catler swears by them still... I've heard that they are quite reliable.

BTW, that eBay listing has been relisted a bunch.
  8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Geez . . . the seller lives only a few miles from me. Too bad I'm not interested in getting it. I just don't think it would work well, or it would have been MUCH more common, and would be commonplace today.

Any of you guys see the Fretted/Fretless Steinberger prototype that was made? You turned a knob on the headstock and the frets lowered out of the way, which was a REALLY cool idea. They never put it in production, though, because the hollow neck necessary for the mechanism made for a really lousy tone, from what I've read. :(

There are cool pictures of it on the Steinberger World website:
    Steinberger World
    Just click on "Photos & Images", then on "Combination fretted/fretless XM2" under "Prototypes" :D
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah you mean the one I posted in:
  10. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Yep. that's the one. What a cool idea. Too bad it didn't pan out. :(
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    A few years ago, I had a 79 Musicman Sabre that had the Novatone switchboard system. Worked fine, and you could switch from fretted to fretless quickly (like 10 seconds). Some people have said that the conversion causes necks to be unstable, due to the removal of the fretboard wood (or equivalent), but it was not a problem with mine at all...