1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Check this out...(Ebay mystery)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michael_atw, Mar 13, 2013.

1. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
  2. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Chose to end early when contacted by interested party?

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
  4. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I was sort of tripping over it; then I saw he had a refinn'ed '65 with modified parts for the same price.

Then I noticed something else. Try to see if you can spot the strangeness.

5. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    damn, that guy is sweet

6. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    I saw his 65 P, what do ya think?

7. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    No strangeness spotted here, I tired.

8. Wow, you're probably talking about how every item he has up for auction is listed at $2,000, even items that aren't worth that much! Weird for sure! I wonder what's up with that?

*Edit: At least everything in the musical instrument section is listed with a Buy It Now price of $2000, not the clothes and whatnot.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep, the $2K price tag on everything and the strap buttons are what stood out to me as well.

10. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Bingo. '69 J went too about a half hour ago.

But note the feedback; 60 transactions a month average.....most of them under $10.

Seems to ring as a new scam. I almost fell for it. I would guess his account was hijacked. Be advised. They used to list old basses and tell people to email them on their personal account; maybe this is a new method of movement.

11. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I noticed many of the big ticket items are very expensive carbon fiber racing bicycles listed for, wait for it, $2000.

It appears the real seller dealt in resale clothing, then the account got ganked by an instrument/bicycle fence.

12. rossiman

rossiman

Aug 12, 2011
    Chicago
    Yea, her Ebay profile says "retired probation officer and grandma" "99% of my listings are old clothes".....how did granny get a hold on nice P basses ha

13. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Whoa...even more weird.

The pages quickly redirect to the old style Ebay page and the page identity changes.

EDIT: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?96507-Alert-Ebay-Hacked

DON'T CLICK ANYTHING ON THESE PAGES FROM THIS SELLER. The links are redirecting to steal personal information.

BEWARE any Ebay'ers if you see any more of these pop up on Ebay!!

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Uh..... yikes.

15. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    There is not a scam hiding under every rock. He may list $2,000 for Buy it now, but his reserve is probably much lower.

16. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Yes, and a seller who has dealt in cheap clothes for 13 years might suddenly decide to get into the vintage instrument and high-end bicycle business.

And none of the suspect listings have bidding options, they seem to be Buy it Now only with 30 day listings. all the clothing listing (the legit ones) were short auctions. And many of the bikes listed have wheelsets worth more than $2k themselves.

17. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    He may have been a closet collector all along and his wife is making him thin out the herd. I don't like to rush to judgement.

18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    LoL

19. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    A closet collector of 10k racing bikes? Seller profile says she is an elderly granmother. Seller suddenly has 200k worth of top-line MENS racing bikes, all different sizes as well mind you.

20. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    And the listings are dropping like flies as people try to score the too-good deals and get sucked in.