Check this out.. My first staining experience..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by luisnovelo, Feb 7, 2004.

1. I refinished this guitar from a friend..

It is an Epiphone Les Paul standard.. It was all black and the body and neck were suposed to be mahogany.. :rolleyes:

The body was alder and the neck was hard maple.. so I stained them to look more like walnut or dark mahogany.. The results were great..

But we had a very pleasant surprise when I found out that there was this not so bad quilted maple top beneath the solid black finish..

I don't know why manufacters paint their guitars solid after having built them with real wood.. I mean.. most hardwoods are so precious just the way nature conceived them.. I think anything further than transparent colors and stains is a crime..
    But anyway..

The satin finish is polyurethane.. which either was a bit crappy or I need to develop my skills.. :meh:
  2. That's a nice finish there Luis!

I agree it's a shame to have that top painted but it's sometimes a nice surprise to find what's under some of these solid colors. Other times one finds out things like it's actually a plywood body that one thought was mahogany all along...err, not that I would know about that!
  3. Thanks hambone..

I know.. I actually stripped the paint off a bass made of something like MDF.. It was sad to find out, but I still think it looked better after refinished than solid gloss black..

and btw.. I thought the body and neck were mahogany because I read it in the website..
  4. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know your instrument. I was poking fun at myself for believing what I found under a too small chip in the paint of a body. Next time, I'll scrape the edges clean before deciding!!
  5. VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'm very impressed seeing as though that's your first stain,great work Luis!! -Luke
  6. Ricken-Baker

Mar 24, 2010
    I'm reviving the thread to ask a question.

I want to refinish an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Bass like this guitar:

Which finish of the Les Paul Bass is easier/better to alter?

Transparent Black:

Plain Black:

Also for the the better finish, can you provide me with more informations (like where to buy spays, how to remove the existing finish etc.)?

Thanks in advance.
  7. Either would be tricky- a good sunburst needs to start from a very clean slate, IMO. that said, w/the sold color you have no idea what the wood underneath looks like- it might or might not look good under a burst. W/the translucent, you know what you're working with.
    Look at, & for starters.
  8. ZOMBIES!!!!!!!

Sorry I had to!:D

I also agree with bassteban, you know what the wood looks like with the transparent.