Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

check this out, Wooten lite on guitar??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    not this again! :p

you must be the 5th person to post this man.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

OK, sorry repost police. -Again I have failed in my duty to read every single thread on TB. ;)

I'll leave it in case there are other unfortunates like myself who missed it the first five times it was posted. :bag:

:) :)

edit: his name is Justin King

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    forum dejavu

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    and he is very talented www.justinking.com :)

6. *shoots himself*

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Not to take anything away from Justin King, but if you're looking for someone like Vic Wooten on guitar, look no further than Vic's brother Reggie. Supposedly he taught the whole Wooten family how to play their instruments, and is a beast on guitar.

8. :eek: :eek:
    ... damn u!!!! just when i thought i was getting good at bass u show me that guy... *realizes the tragic story that i suck*

im goin to hide now, bye :bag:

9. Seen it.

It's still damn cool though.

10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I don't have video footage to show it off, but if you want to see somone REALLY doing slap on guitar like no one lese can... Check out Canadian band I Mother Earth. They have recently fell into relative obscurity, commercially speaking, but personally I think they are making the best music of their careers now. Check out tracks like "Juicy" from the latest album "The Quicksilver Meat Dream" or older tunes like "Earth, Sky & C" and basically, the entire first half of their debut album "Dig."

Their guitarist Jagori Tanna is hands down the best guitar player in the world that no one has ever heard of. The bassist is pretty smoking too, amazing tone, and killer lines, the first and latest album, again, showcasing him the best too.

I had the pleasure of being their guitar/bass tech for awhile, and it was quite the treat to get to sit and watch them rip it up onstage every night for weeks on end. Hands down one of the best live bands going today. They have really developed a very Prog sound as of late, not as commerical as they used to be, which I think is a good thing personally.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I saw them some time back opening for Dream Theater in Columbus. I really liked them, and I did see the guitar slapping, pretty cool.

12. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That's cool. Although they sound absolutely nothing like DT, I can really hear their influence on the latest IME album. Jag's guitar work reminds me at times of everyone from John Petrucci to Steve Vai to who knows what. The songs run the range from Tool-esque odd time signatures and staccato'ed drums, anthemic song structures ala Rush (I think half the songs on the album are over 6 minutes long, one is over 8 minutes and broken down into 4 distinct movements). It (The Quicksilver Meat Dream) is really a cool album. It ranks highly in my top 10 albums to listen to right now. I have a 5 disc player at home, and I rotate music constantly, yet I can't seem to take that one out, it is always there. I listen to it literally every single day lately, and only appreciate it more every time I hear it.

If you are a DT fan, and dug what you heard then, I recommend trying to track down the album. I don't think you will be disappointed.

13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Michael Hedges was doing this a long time ago...