Check this out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Nov 22, 2002.

1. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    ow. i think my brain's full. i think i'll spend my time practicing instead of thinking from now on.

seriously though, that sounds like ACME's Andy could have written that, huh!
  2. flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    From Greybeard's link :

Can't say I understand the thinking behind this. Why would anyone want to forego bi-amping with an active crossover for a passive crossover. I thought passive crossovers were considered a bit of a no-no by cab builders. :confused:
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I dunno about 112db being "seriously loud". I guess that's a pretty subjective term. Consider that an Ampeg 8x10 has a max spl of 131db........and so does the average guitar rig.......112db would be practically useless in most situations I've been in.

Nothing terribly wrong with passive crossovers that I know of, BUT I've never seen one that handles much more than 400 watts. Since an active crossover does its thing before the power amp, there is no wattage limit. I don't know if you could custom build a passive from parts that handles more wattage.......
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Passive crossovers are built into all cabinets with tweeters.

5. I've ran into that article about uhm, a dozen times, now. It's an attempt of a hifi cabinet builder to build a hifi bass guitar cabinet. It's NOT a good idea to do the same, unless you have EXACTLY the same needs as the author. The cabinet is very inefficient and probably has enormous trouble in cutting through the mix of your average pop or rockband.

The article is well written and the author's knowledge is admirable, but it was never meant to circle the planet like it does now.
  6. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah, but if you built 2 of them, you could make a SWEET pair of headphones!

i can picture it now...
  7. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    BTW the peerless woofer used in the article is out of production for some time.