check this page

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Baloo, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think the comment about using all five fingers to prevent tiring is overkill. Jaco used two, he was very fast. Rocco Prestia uses two, and he pumps straight 16th notes (without tiring) on almost every TOP song I have heard.

Maybe that mans method works for him, but I don't think it would work for the majority of bassists. At least not all five fingers simultaneously.

I can understand the reasoning behind using these methods:

1. Pickstyle
    2. Two finger alternating
    3. Three finger alternating (good for Toys Go Winding Down type parts)
    4. Thumb (not slapping)
    5. Thumb and index finger

But all five at once seems like a wankfest waiting to happen.
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    He must be a true professional if he is scanning his hand :)
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"However, you see those hot shots on TV cracking off 64th notes like it's no problem and you wonder how they do it?"

NO I don't!! What kind of a world is he living in? :meh:
  4. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I tried this about a year ago, after I saw the article. I quickly quit using the method, though. I found, because my third and, especially, my pinkie finger were shorter, I had to hold my hand funny to get even strokes on the strings. My hand started to really hurt from that and I quit when the pain started its way to my wrist.

If you're good with two fingers, I say stay with it. You can add the ring finger without too much problem, but I just don't see a need for the pinky (I only use the ring finger occasionally).
  5. I kind of like using only two fingers to prevent overkill.