Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Check your bag and compare

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Usedtobejim, Sep 28, 2000.

1. Usedtobejim

Usedtobejim

Jan 3, 2000
    This past week I want to a sales training seminar. We were all asked to come prepared to make a sales call.

When we got there, they had us open our briefcases and make a list of everything that was in it. When I compared my list to someone elses, I found some things I need and some things I don't and some things I'm glad I had. Pretty cool experiment...so what's in your bag?

Mine:
    1 set bass strings
    rubbing alcohol
    cotton cloth
    1 21' cable
    1 5' cable
    2 10' cable
    wire cutter
    band-aids (for cuts)
    pick holder (the kind you stick to the mic stand)
    picks
    screwdriver
    9 volt battery
    tuner
    bassballs
    extension cord
    power strip
    magic marker
    duct tape
    book of cheat sheets
    Small Flashlight
    Pic's of my kids
    Spare Change (phone)

This is really super-nerdy but...

What do you have in your gig bag? Do you have a checklist? how do you get ready gear wise?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    "Super-nerdy"???

....remember, nerds actually run the world, the "cool" people only THINK they do. ;)

Great topic!

In my bag:

Small tool kit - asst. screwdrivers, wire cutters, Craftsman "Robo-Grip" pliers, one of those gizmos for getting screws and whatnot outta tight spots.

Full set of both metric and SAE allen wrenches.

Nu Skin (Spray-on type)
    Bandaids
    Bottle of asprin
    Old medicine bottle with Centrum Multi-Vitamins, Immodium AD and AlkaSeltzer Cold Plus liquid gels in it
    4 pack of 9V batteries
    Small Radio Shack voltmeter (the little guy that folds up)
    2 Black ballpoint pens
    Medium Maglite Flashlight

3 - 10' Guitar Cables
    2 - 20' Guitar Cables
    2 - 3' 12 guage Speaker Cables
    Channel/effects loop/eq selector pedal w/attached cable
    Morley A/B box
    Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
    4 outlet power strip
    Wall-wart for Sabine rack tuner
    Grounded to non-grounded plug adapter (only used under GREAT duress...thankfully with EMG's, shock hazard is nil)
    Handful of those yellow garbage bag ties (they make great cable ties too! :D)
    Music stand light
    Short extension cord for music stand light

I don't worry much about change, you break down in between New Orleans and Baton Rouge on I-10 at 4 am one time, and you begin to truly appreciate the value of a cellphone :). I keep a "clean" (i.e. unused and ready to rock) credit card in my wallet. The book of charts is too big for the bag (already too much in it :eek: ), so it travels alone. Extra strings live in the gig bag. Picks are for noses, not basses ;), so no picks or pick holders. Music stand is its own entity, bass stands ride between the handles of the bag.

YTBJ, off your list I am reminded to replace my now defunkt roll of musician's fixall (duct(k) tape to the uninitiated :D).

As far as a checklist, I don't have a formal one, but I won't leave the driveway until I "feel" like I've got everything. If I don't have that feeling, my subconscious is telling me something, I go through my stuff and double check. Usually, there's a good reason for my subconscious acting up.

3. I have a small toolbox I keep my extra crap in. You for got something: Toothpicks! For when your woodscrew won't go back in the hole tight.<p>
    BTW,duck tape rules!

4. jfsjbb

jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    In my Gigbag there's only the bass, the strap and a 20ft cable.

For all the other thing I bought a toolbox (attache briefcase format, but more than twice the height). It's one of those things where you can fix all the contents.

In that box there's a Zoom 506, a metronome, two tuners (one broken, don't know why I don't throw that away), a wireless kit for bass, another wireless kit with mini microfone (for tuba), a Behringer Sharc (noisegate, compressor, feedback killer, phantom power, ..., just a universal problem solver), lots of patch cables, a supply of 9v batteries (I keep thinking about rechargeables, opinions?), power supplies, extensions, adapters, ..., two sets of strings (Maxima Gold strings, sic), no picks.

A little first aid kit, aspirin, a swiss army knife, a Buck tool, magnesium pills, a towel (thanks to Douglas Adams, Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect).

That's all, I think.

5. I lost my towel. :( My status as Hoopy Frood has been revoked!

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey CROZ...

....fear not, I neglected to mention the 2 bar towels I ALWAYS have in my gig bag. You're more than welcome to borrow one, can't have your "hoopy frood" status revoked now, can we? :D

ZAPHOD BEEBLEBROX FOR PRESIDENT (he's gotta be better than gush and bore...)

7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I usually carry a drum key, too. I have most of the stuff mentioned previously. Did anyone say a flashlight? Those come in really handy, too.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

8. wow... how does all that stuff fit in a gig bag?? :)

i never go to really big gigs but I usually have:

cable (would be cables but someone stole the other one!)
    strings
    duct tape
    strap
    and sometimes, not always though... my bass :D

btw: how come bassists(and some drummers) are often the kind of people that like Hitch Hiker´s Guide To The Galaxy, watch Monty Python and find stuff like that funny?? what is it with us? are we just so much smarter than everybody else and they don´t get the jokes? :) I´ve yet to meet a guitar player that likes this stuff... :p

9. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I' ve got just about everything mentioned, plus, guitar strings, cymbol felt and sleeves, a soldering iron (W/solder, flux etc.), Super glue (great on finger tips, busted nobs etc.), sh%t loads of cables (RCA, 1/4" stereo/ mono, speaker, etc.) wind screens, Multi meter, lots of other junk. Im basicly the only responsable person in the band. Welcome to being a bass player I guess.

10. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Bass, strap, cord.

Why is it that I feel suddenly inadequate? =(

11. Here's what I got:
    Leatherman
    2- 10 ft Cord
    1- 20 ft cord
    1-6ft speaker cable
    voltage tester
    Bar Towel
    Tuner
    9v battery
    Set of Strings
    Multi- plug
    2 pens, 2 pencils
    Set list
    directions to gig :)

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In actuality, my gig bag has all that stuff, including the soldering iron, plus an SM-57, an SM-58 (plus cords), stick tambourine, two shaker eggs, claves, SansAmp Bass Driver DI, A/B box, manuals for all PA gear, guitar and bass string winders, every set list we've ever used, clean white hand towel, and sometimes a cow bell. Am I anal, or what?

You know what sounds really good to me? Bass, strap, cord. I would die for a gig like that. You know, some other fool worries about the PA, my guitar tech worries about my gear, and I show up, bass, strap, cord. Yessirree.

13. Bass, strap, cord...and spare strings! :D

14. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have a lap top case and in it are as follows...

Bass gig

Leads
    Batteries
    Pen
    Paper
    Pliers
    Screwdrivers
    Strings
    earplugs

and for guitar add following

Tubescreamer
    Fuzz Factory
    4 Mullard ECC 83 pre amp valves

The case doubles as a pedal board and has loads of pockets and stuff. I dont have a lap top just the case.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

First of all, I don't believe in gig bags, but that's another thread ;)

I have a large gym bag which contains:
    a music stand
    an Ultimate bass stand
    3 promo band pens
    Strings - 1 new Smith 6 string set, 1 new Rotosound 4 string set, 1 old GHS 6 string set, 1 slightly used Fender Black Tapewounds set, 1 old Rotosound 4 string set.
    new 2pack Energizer 9 volts
    dead Kodak 9volt(now in trash)
    pocket butane torch
    band business cards
    picks(don't know why, I never use them)
    knob for Ibanez distortion pedal(can't seem to find the pedal tho' ;) )
    extra fuse and holder for SWR combo(You ever try to track down an oddball fuse holder in a podunk town after your kid takes the original out to play with it? I have!)
    fingernail clippers
    flashlight
    metric & SAE allen wrench set(hmm.. a few are missing)
    4 bit screwdriver
    fast fret
    lineman's pliers
    precision screwdriver set
    Crescent wrench
    xacto knife
    9/16" combination wrench
    stubby phillips screwdriver
    7 cheapo short 1/4" patch cords
    2 cheapo instrument cables
    2 rusty screws
    Zoom 506 pedal
    RCAx4 cheapo patch cable
    3 power cords for SWR combo, 2 grounded, 1 ungrounded.
    homemade finger rest from Westone fretless(So THAT'S where those rusty screws go!)
    tote bag with sheet music in it
    cable ties
    velro cable ties
    ¿pack of 100 coax[TV] cable clips?
    ¡spare slingshot rubber!
    croakie for glasses
    scotch tape
    Dunlop #65 guitar polish
    GC polish cloth
    2 universal wall wart transformers
    Bass Rockman
    assorted plastic tips for stands and hardware
    1 used looking Qtip:eek: - now in trash :oops:
    3 straps
    3 instrument cables

16. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Holy cow, embellisher, does that gym bag have wheels? ;)

I'm also a non-believer of gig bags (although I learned a HSC can wreck your wrist in the Texas wind!). Here's my stash, spread out between my HSC and gym bag:

-strap
    -cloth diaper (1,000,001 uses!)
    -truss rod wrench/screwdriver thingy
    -useless Gibson polishing cloth
    -Pick, Carvin, 1 ea. (unused; I gave the other one away)
    -automotive feeler gauge
    -steel machinists ruler
    -instructions for my bass (they don't tell you how to play it, unfortunately)
    -2 pack of 9v batteries
    -music stand
    -"guitar" stand
    -25' cable
    -12' spare cable
    -2 speaker cables
    -spare set of strings
    -Boss TU-2 tuner
    -"analog" tuner (A440 tuning fork)
    -50' extension cord
    -power strip
    -binder with sheet music
    -pencil
    -swiss army knife
    -Hearos
    -2 prong adapter
    -bottle of water
    -aspirin

And after last weekend playing on a rain-soaked softball field - hip boots!

17. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Munji: I'm stuck in a high school jazz band. So, to be technically accurate, you'd die if you had to take this gig. =D It's great for a beginner like me, but anyone with experience would be too POed at the brass all the time to enjoy it. *turns up amp to 10 and opens up* THIS IS MY TIME! FOLLOW MY TIME! I'M ONLY PLAYING QUARTER NOTES, SO FOLLOW MY QUARTER NOTES! ARGH!

But, to get back on topic, the whole "Bass, strap, cord" thing is pretty nice, yeah. =)

18. this is what fell out of my gig bag last time i droped it screwdriver, minimag light, ken smith bass strings, 9volt battery, pliers, guitar tuner, penis pump, and one book by Austin Powers "The Zen of the Penis pump"

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Take some advice from me, furtim. Stick with bass, strap, cord as long as you can. When you have all that junk, IT owns YOU.

Also, I forgot to mention one thing ... my samba whistle. Everybody got one?

[Edited by Munjibunga on 09-30-2000 at 04:20 PM]