1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Check Your Screws

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by f.vega, Dec 29, 2011.

1. f.vega

f.vega

Sep 3, 2009
    Earlier this year I purchased a pair of older Avatar 410 cabs with the kappa pros in mint-y condition. After playing with them for a while, I found what I thought was one speaker squeaking. So I called Dave at Avatar and he told me that its possible that one of the voice coils may be rubbing, so I was all set to buy new speakers from Dave when I thought to check all of the screws first. Most of the speaker screws were loose, so I tightened them up and it still squeaked. Then I tightened up the handle screws and they were loose but not by much. Low and behold, the squeak was gone! :bassist:

2. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Ive had this just of recent.I use Legend BP102 speakers heavy solid frames.Ive got 2-4x10cabs that weight a heap & just after about 5 jams the speakers screws become loose.
    After tightening them it makes one hell of a difference.

3. Kellymack

Kellymack Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Yeah, for BP 102's they kill

4. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I've had a few screws loose most of my life....:bag:

And a big +1 to the OP. Bass cabs shake everything loose over time, so it's a good idea to periodically check all the screws on the drivers, grill, handles and jack plate even before you hear something going wrong.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1.

Good cabs have a combination of glue, brackets and screws holding everything together. Sadly it will come apart eventually. A quick check can prevent some issues.

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    every screw in my practice room is loose! (rack case screws especially)

7. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Check all the screws on your bass as well. I always check the neck/ body joint and the screws that attach the bridge to the body.