Checked out a Fender Aerodyne today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 20, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    And it was a really sweet bass! I haven't seen any mention of a 5 string in the works, but when asked, the guy at GC told me they'd go for about 25% more (This of course was no more than blowing smoke up you-know-where, as I have done some research and found there's no mention of a fiver Aero in Fender's literature). Still, it's an interesting variation of the J bass, with a P pickup and a contoured bound body. The dotless neck gives the bass a nice clean look. Check 'em out!

I gotta say I've been impressed with Fenders recently. I like some of their mexi stuff better than a couple of US models I used to own. Glad to know they're finally getting it. (With the competition they have, they really can't afford not to)
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, I played one the other day.

It was cool because it was a fender that did not way 78 pounds, but it lacked the typical fender sound.

It really did not have any growl... lots of grind... no growl.

I would not buy one... maybe as a semi-beater/back up bass, but I was not impressed enough to make it a main axe.
  3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    I thought it was a little bit of a let down. I love the look of the Aerodyne, but I don't like the fact that it's basswood and the neck and hardware are the exact same as an MIM! What's up with that? That hardware is the crapity-crap. Such a nice looking body-design and great ergonomics deserves better. I think they kind of dropped the ball on the Aerodyne. The pickups aren't the greatest either and the name sounds too much like a certain plastic bass made by Ibanez. Just my opinion.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's the one of which I couldn't think of the name the other day. I like it. It sounded good to my ears, the price is low, and you can always swap out the knobs. The body binding is classy. Yes sir, I like it.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Ah, I didn't know about the basswood and now that you mentioned it, the tuners did look like they came off an Affinity bass. I guess I was won over by the design and the feel of the bass.

I still think they're putting out some good stuff, though.
  6. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Yeah, I still love Fender. I was just a little let down because I did find it to be a strikingly good looking bass (dare I :eek: ) and wanted to like it really bad. Oh well, maybe they'll come out with an "Aerodyne Deluxe". I'd gladly pay a few hundred more if it was made of alder or maple-topped-mahogany and had nice hardware and pickups.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

May 7, 2003
    i thought it was a decent bass,i liked the different kind of volume and tone knobs pretty hip,i have a japanese p-j bass so i dont think i will be getting another one which is what this bass is is a p/j bass special w/ a jazz body as opposed to a p-bass body NO?if i'm gonna spend 600.00$ on a fender its gonnas be a 62 re-issue j/bass:bassist:
  9. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
  10. Err, guys? Sorry to hijack but there's at least two other threads about this... And yes, it is a sweeeeet bass!