Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

checking if trus rod is broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dadodetres, Feb 13, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    luckily i never dealt with a broken truss rod....

but if someone is selling me a bass, how can i ckeck if the truss rod is not broken?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    if it was broken the neck would be extremely curved . Just check if the neck is somewhat straight.

3. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    That's not truth. It could be poor adjustment. If a trussrod is broken, there should, by all likelyhood, be no pressure on the adjustment nut. Make an adjustment and see if you get pressure.

4. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hey there,

One of my bass has a trussrod that didn't move at all. I've tried one way and then the other, but nothing to do, not a single movement...
    What does it means ?

Thanks

Sheers

Shiveringbass

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    thanks everyone!

so, if relief is good (or semi good) means that the rod is fine?

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Not necessarily. I played a Carvin B5 with a broken truss rod and it was playable. The relief was a little out of spec, but not much, and the action was a little high, but playable. Certainly within the range of what some players like. I attribute that to the graphite rods, but I could be wrong.

7. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    The nut is indeed fozen... I'm sure you could try to turn it with your two arms and that would not change, the thing won't move at all...
    :(

Thanks fo your help

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Does it not move in either direction?

9. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    If my memories are good, I've been able one time to tight the rod but since, nothing.
    The bass is a Ibanez ATK 305.

Thanks

Sheers