1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

checking in my stingray at the airport

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bchamorro, Feb 27, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I need to take my guitar and bass with me + 2 luggage

I need to check in my bass because I can only carry one.

my stingray does have a hard case, but im worried that they might scratch it or even break it. Maybe the latches might open too.

What should I do? Is there any way I can buy some kind of cover for the case? Should I tape the latches?

2. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I have flown with my Ray5 for one trip-it was from Indianapolis i think we connected in Memphis to Orlando or Ft. Lauderdale-i forget which. Return trip was Florida to Detroit to Indy.

Here's what i did: i wrapped the bass in bubble wrap inside of the case-it won't take much as the basses fit really snug in the cases anyway. Next-i duct taped the latches. If your bass gets opened like mine did, they SHOULD [they did for me] retape the latches w/their ATA Approved tape. Also-in big letters [also in duct tape] i spelled out my name on one side [CAM MAC] and then on the other side the group i was with [FE 2003]. This gave me & the members of my group a very visible indicator of where my bass was. Some of them told me that they even saw the crew loading it onto the plane.

If you have a luggage tag for it-i'd use it, but don't be surprised if it gets ripped off [the tag-not the bass].

I am reasonably confident in the use of the SKB Standard/Deluxe hardshells for very light flight use. If you plan on doing it often, save the anxiety and buy a flight case.

The bass went and came back without a hitch. On one leg of the trip, i had to claim it at the 'special pickups' or whatever the booth is called. They should it was a weapon....in the case marked MUSICMAN with a bass guitar inside. I'm not that great of a bass player, but that's a bit insulting ya know? ;)

3. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Thank you!

will duct tape leave glue stuck to the case/latches? sticky?

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Luggage shops have 2" nylon straps with clip connectors you can use . Put one around the case, through the handle. Won't have to mess with tape.

5. schismpunk

schismpunk

Oct 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Another alternative is seeing if the airline will make an exception for you. I travel with my University band at least 3 times a year and for the past 3 years I have only been forced to check it once. If you're flying in a large aircraft, they often have closets onboard for luggage. I've also been able to seat belt it in to an empty seat, or put it behind the last seat in the aircraft between the seat and the restroom. Airlines aren't as anal as the TSA agents; if you're convincing and insist that your instrument may get damaged below, they should let you bring it on.

6. Cmaddox13@

Cmaddox13@

Dec 9, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Providing your not traveling alone have a buddy carry a bass on with them. Not only do they usually let you keep it in the closet when you first get on the plane i found that in most planes you can set a bass in the overhead compartments. I carried an acoustic bass and an acoustic guitar on board with me.

7. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have taken two bass on the plane with a double gig bag

8. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    the luggage straps is a great idea! im gonna go look for them tomorrow.

9. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I wouldn't check any bass on a plane in it's factory case.