1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Checking Old Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrBassman17, Jun 3, 2018.

1. MrBassman17

MrBassman17 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I'm in the beginning stages of building a 'Frankenbass' from parts I have laying around, including a pair of Basslines active pickups. Before I go too far, how would I check that the pickups are good? What I was thinking was to connect a 9v battery to the wires and check the output. But, being just knowledgable enough with electronics to cause damage, what should I be checking for? Ohms, amps, voltage? Any help on this would be appreciated!

2. Attach your multimeter leads to the pickup leads & then wave a screwdriver over the pole pieces. It should register a AC Voltage fluctuation.
    (remember to use the smallest AC Volts range on your meter)

If you're not getting anything, then try it with the battery.

MrBassman17 and Snaxster like this.
  3. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Or solder a jack to the signal leads and hook it up to an amp. Be sure to have the volume turned down. Tap with said screwdriver or any other iron based implement.

I have a P/J set of the old active Basslines with the two tiny switches and like them pretty good.

MrBassman17 and Snaxster like this.