Checking Out Radiance Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rickbass, Jun 30, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Has anyone checked out/experienced these Linear Radiance pickups out of Rochester, NY?

Evidently, the idea is you buy these "bullets" as they call them, (like individual, independent, pole pieces), for each string. You can not only turn them in all 4 directions to tweak the sound/polarity/whatever, but you can also move them several inches along the length of the strings, individually. so, according to them, a 4-string would have 256 distinct tonal options, and that's before you get into moving them to different locations along the string length. :eek:

Want more tones? Buy another pack of what they call "bullets" (pole pieces) that are wound differently. They have several packs available. And the whole shootin' match is pretty inexpensive.

Just wondered if anyone had any comments or feedback on these.
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I have a set and installed them in an Electric Upright Bass project - see for details and photos. I had very good results from them

An interesting concept for experimentation, though I am uncertain whether the bass guitar application is all that necessary.

Also, sad to say, the maker dropped out of site late last year with a number of orders unfilled - there was some traffic on it in a couple newsgroups, and I did get an email back from John, and he promised one of the overseas buyers that he would (after 4+ months of promises and then no responses) fill his order. He also indicated he was having medical problems

However, a month later, no pickups and no responses from John, and another complaint. So, while these are interesting, I would exercise caution and be sure to pay with a credit card, to leave your options open.

I do hope John resurfaces, healthy in both person and business, since they were an interesting option for many instrument applications and a quality product in my experience.
  3. rickbass

Wow, Bob, leave it to you to be onto this stuff.

I really appreciate the tip about the Lane Poor-type situation going on with them. One rumor said it was a health thing with Poor, too. I hope Linear does right by you.

I was looking at his 5-string kit. The only thing that makes me apprehensive about the design is that they talk every which way about lateral/horizontal flexibility but nothing about height and aperture. I also wonder if the other bullet packs offer a have a mix of alnico and ceramic magnets. Oh well, after what you told me, it's a moot point now.

I guess if you could get yours, you couldn't go wrong at those prices.

Thanks again, Bob!
  4. rickbass

Bob - I meant to ask you - From your picture, it looks like the way you have them installed, you can't adjust the bullets at different points along the lengths of the strings.

But do you turn them in different directions and does that affect tone, or are yours totally stationary?
  5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    My mount at that time, and the new one I am devising, will not include any option for movement. My primary need for individual pickups was to accommodate the specific spacing of the strings on my project electric upright bass - I wasn't concerned with moving them. I had previously tested for position, first using a half of a precision bass pickup, then a single bullet. The usual position of mag pickups on double basses, right at the end of the bridge due to logistical difficulties, is not the optimum IMHO - closer to the bridge is far better.

I had questioned John about turning them 90 degrees, and he said he thought the wider aperature as positioned was better- I never tried it, but note that the other EUB owner featured on his site did.

The Linear pickups also returned a strong and wonderful bowed sound, which other magnetic pickups, even those designed for double bass, seem incapable of. However, as I mention on my page at - the inside and outside strings were uneven - my new mount will hopefully change that (let's hope!). Meanwhile, I am having good luck with some K&K piezo pickups in a different mounting position from my original.
  6. rickbass

Thanks, Bob!

I would figure you would tweak it till the sound satisfied you, since you don't seem content with compromises.

From what you say, apparently the Radiance deliver a very good tone and respectable output.
  7. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    well sorry to resurrect an old thread (were talking ancient), but figured I'd do this before starting a new one.

I'm currently looking for something like the linear pickups mentioned above. Does anyone know if this guy ever resurfaced, or start processing orders again?

Better yet, does anyone know if anyone else, commercial or custom, is making anything like this?
  8. phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I tried to get in contact with those guys sometime last year, but I'm pretty sure they're gone for good. Something about a fire destroying the whole factory, along with any remaining stock, or something. I'm pretty sure just about any custom pickup builder could build you a single-string pickup.

Atlansia make single-string pickups (along with some friggin' wild guitars), but they're mighty pricey (I think about $150 each), and they're all the way in Nagano.
  9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    wow, they have some crazy stuff there. Those are a bit pricey for me. How much would i expect to pay for a set of 4 custom made single string pickups?