Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheer Up! by Reel Big Fish

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Pen Cap Chew, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Thumbs up

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Thumbs down

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Go away and stop wasting my precious time

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Anyone else here bought this CD yet? I just went on a CD binge the other day and discovered this gem. I know there a ton of Reel Big Fish fans on here and just wondering what their opnions were on this album. All great songs in my opnion but right now Ban the Tube Top and Rock n Roll is Bitchin are current favorites. The little comment after the hidden track at the end cracked me up as well. All those who have the album know what i'm talking about. Anyway, I'll stop rambling and open it up to the masses.

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Ehhhhh....I disliked this cd. It sounded similiar to Less Than Jake's Boreders and Boundaries cd. RBF changed their sound on this one,and i dont like it. Now their like pop-punk with ska. If you like this cd then youll love their masterpiece Turn the Radio Off.

3. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    frankencow said it best...
    "if you like this cd you'll love their masterpiece 'Turn the Radio Off'"

I really liked this cd a lot. I don't think they changed their sound, just went back to what they used to do. I personally didn't care for 'Why do the rock so hard'...at least not as much as Turn the radio off and Cheer up.

Oh well...guess that's just an opinion:D

Alex

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I really liked Why do they rock so hard not as much as Turn the radio off,but i dont know why i just didnt like Cheer Up too much.

5. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Ehh..one of my best friends is the same way. He dug WDTRSH but just really didn't get into Cheer Up. Oh well.:)

BTW, I LOVE that AFI quote in your sig...one of my bandmates is a vegetarian.

Alex

6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I dont know what albums these songs were on, But a few of their songs i really like are "Everything sucks" and "Where have you been".

7. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Everything Sucks was on the album 'Everything Sucks' and 'Turn the Radio Off'. My band covers this song and She Has a Girlfriend Now quite regularly. 'Where Have You Been' is on Cheer Up.

Quick funny story 'bout those covers. Somehow my friends and I convinced our jazz band director in high school to let us play 'She Has a Girlfriend Now'(another friend of mine, girl, was a singer in the jazz band, so it was inevitable:))

Well, we played the song out the WHOLE SCHOOL YEAR until playing it for a retirement home that our band director lived at. The song is blatantly about lesbians and one of the last lines is 'I never thought it would end like this, just because I got no boobies, I'll shave my legs, I'll wear a bra, even cut my pen** off for you'. And no, we didn't hide the fact that I sang those lines:D When we were done that night, the whole audience had this look of amazment on their face...ya know, kinda like when you pass a really bad car wreck.

We weren't allowed to play the song anymore:D

Alright, back to the discussion!

Alex

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!Thats a good story...and a good song!

9. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Heheh...yeah, I thought so:D

Alex