Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheese with your Wine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iareplaythebass, May 24, 2004.

1. Allright, I bought a bottle of wine last week, opened it and about gagged it tastes soooo bad! It's cabernet savignon, thought that sounded tasty. But.... no. It sucks.
    The funny thing is, I love the cheap "boones farm" wine that's like 2 bucks! yet, the 10 dollar bottle tastes like I'm licking the floor of a stadium bathroom (the men's room, not the fancy ladies room with the couches and such ;) )
    So anyway, what wines taste good? What should I look for next time I'm there?
    Can't there just be grape juice with liquor in it? ;)
    Peace
    :hyper:

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's possible that your wine may have been corked. It can be pretty nasty when that happens.

Or it's possible that your taste buds have been killed off by all that Boones Farm you've been drinking. Now that's some disgusting stuff.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    True, if its corked then it could taste like a bathroom floor, although more commonly it smells "like wet cardboard" and should be almost undrinkable (ie the smell makes it pretty hard to get into your mouth).

Sounds like he just wasnt ready for the inherent taste in a big red like a cab sav - perheps he should start on some of the lighter whites like Semillion, Gwertztramminer or Savingnon Blanc (sp?) and work his way up to the heartier reds!

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like selections from pretty much any type of wine (can't really get into port though) but my faves are Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. Ecco Domani is a pretty good Pinot Grigiot for under 10 bucks and Turning Leaf makes a decent cheap Chardonnay for casual dinner drinking and whatnot. There are so many great wines out there and so little time (and money) to try them all. If you're ever in a town or area known for it's wine (California wine country or somewhere like that) then definitely stop in for some wine tastings. They shouldn't be hard to find in places where there are a lot of vineyards and it's lots of fun and a great way to figure out what you do and don't like.

brad cook

Edit: Oh yeah...one really bang-up Chardonnay for the price is Esser Cellars chard...that was some good stuff! Just remembered it

5. and this has to do with cheese why......?

if its some sort of joke, i dont get it. hey! we gots new smilies!

:eyebrow: :scowl: :rollno:

3 words.

ann-ee-mated

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Gross. I hate wine.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    For some of the sweeter flavors, I'd recommend any of the Olivers. Sweet without being cloying. And the Concord taste like upscale Morgan David with a kick![​IMG]

8. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    I have cheese with my wine only rarely. There are a few cheeses i dont like such as washed rind, and soft but i prefer hard cheeses.
    A wine that has totally taken me by storm is Golden Botrytis by Miranda from Griffith NSW. Ive never liked sweet desert wines before but this one has converted me.

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    gawd, y'all are so picky.

here we drink whatever comes our way, be it Krug or ethanol.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey you Euros are supposed to be refined or something, damnit! Now get back into our stereotype and stay there!

brad cook

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    shut it, mo fo.

shizzle ma nizzle.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sounds like White Ziffy may be more palatable to you.

13. Vodka and fruit juice.

My current fave, Malibu and Raspberry juice. :hyper:

Me? One of those unrefined pallates.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ... I like Munster cheese.

*rides off in his Dragula*

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I've been making the CHEESIEST jokes lately. :smug:

16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    If you like Boones Farm it's no wonder you dislike cabs. One is dry and spicy/robust/complex, the other is sweet like Kool-aid and moonshine. If you like sweet, try a Gewurtz. It's a German style that is on the sweet and fruity side of things. There are many styles of wine and I guarantee there is one out there that fits your tastes. If you don't feel like searching for something good, even crap box wine like Franzia white zin would be better than Boones.

Also, there is a good wine thread in DB Off Topic. Check out my, and others, suggestions in there.

17. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    :rollno: That's so wrong. I'm so happy that smiley exists. I just got a bad college flashback of drinking too much boones.

Mark Latimour pretty much said exactly what I'd suggest. Light whites are a good place to start. Some reds might be fine too, just go someplace where you can ask for suggestions. I think Australia and New Zealand wines are pretty consistently palatable.

White Zin -> :rollno: Try a Riesling.

If you're at a restaurant with Spanish food, you might want to give Sangria a whirl. It's a punch, but it'll ease you into red wine.

Where's the food snob smiley?
    Marshall

18. Hey iareplaythebass, I agree with Chuck -

The White Zinfandel variety is like the generic crowd-pleaser. Think of it as the "Fender Jazz" of wines. :p

I'm pulling on a 5 litre box of WZ as we speak. (((mmmm))) a wine so good, they put it in a box!! :hyper: Also, I've had a bit of a local Pinot Grigio (available at the local Olive Garden restaurant) that was tasty.

19. if you insist on spending a mere two dollars on wine, find a trader joe's grocery store and buy some charles shaw. also known as two buck chuck. yup. two dollars a bottle. in blind tests, it's won gold medals.

some of my favorite brands:
    bonny doon-crazy, off the wall wine. wierd blends. don't be put off by the screw cap, it really is a good idea.
    penfold's-australian. lots of different shiraz. from $8 up to $80, but you can't miss.
    Coppola-as in francis ford and sophia. big napa cab's, some sweet girly pinks and sparkling, creamy/oaky chard.

the best of the best:

V. Sattui
    not in any stores. you have to get it at the winery or order it off thier site. absolutely incredible. take a look: www.vsattui.com

and if you have a whole foods market around you, just ask them about cheese.

20. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    True dat on 2buckchuck. Trader Joe's is a good place to experiment because they have a good amount of cheap wine. There's also Beverages and more (http://bevmo.com); they have ratings which can be handy.

I'll check out V. Sattui on my next trip to wine country.

Anyone in the bay area, if you're going towards Mendocino, definitely check out Navarro Vineyards - http://www.navarrowine.com. That's my favorite winery...Nice people too. Another gem that's not in stores.

Marshall