Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheesy Pic of the Conklin 8... I hope!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Aug 23, 2003.

1. hey all,

the new computer's up and running, so I want to see if for the first time since I joined TB I can post a pic from home and not at Kinko's or through JT...

from the depths of low,

Stew

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Here you go Stew.

[​IMG]

3. Nice bass, I am confused on one thing that you may be able to answer though...

I have always been told that the string mutes (such as the one at the nut of your bass) were commonly hair ties. Well I dunno what hair ties you people are buying but I certainly don't have any that will fit around the headstock of my bass.

Anyone wanna tell me what I am doing wrong or if they aren't hair ties what they really are?

4. the photo has a proffesional backdrop!

anyway...i would like to have a go at something like that, but does it have neck dive!?

5. LOL

just got in from a gig. you cats are great!

it is indeed a common hairtie, chaoslord. before it goes on the neck it's probably an inch or less across, but I use the ones that look like caterpillars not the honkin' scrunci's.

and, j_b_scott, nope! there's no neck dive at all. Bill Conklin made a nearly perfect instrument for me with this bad boy: perfect balance!

remind me to tell you cats about last nights gig after I get some sleep...

:D :D :D

from the depths of low,

Stew

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Damn!! How did I miss this little thread?? Stew, I have to say that the "non-con/tron" configs on your Conklin and most recently on the Bee 8 fretless is really intriguing me.. I'd love to hear how they sound. Do you often find yourself limited tonally with them because there are no electronics or controls?

7. hey Mark,

good to hear from you!

I'm making some new recordings now that I have both the fretted and the fretless, so bug me from time to time and I'll get you some recordings when they're done.

as to the lack of controls and the passive electronics, I never find myself in a tonal crunch. I've had to learn to really exploit what my hands can do by changing my attack and where I play on the strings. I can get freakishly bright and punchy of totally subdued and thick sounds with a few simple shifts in technique!

I can also cheat a little with the Conklin if I want since it has a pickup selector. I've really only used it a couple of times on gigs, though. I've soloed the neck pickup for a couple of blues shows and I soloed the bridge pickup for one bass break on one recording.

from the low (tech) end,

Stew

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's interesting... I'm really thinking of doing this to my GT7 fretless.... Just bypassing everything except the blend knob and seeing how things sound..

Oh, and expect a PM from me soon.. I've got some questions regarding the AccuGroove stuff..

9. very cool, man! in all honesty, taking this route has really made me focus on discipline.

plus, no batteries to crap out!

:D

from the low end,

Stew

ps - I'll keep an eye out...

10. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    It must be REAL hard to have tonal issues with the AccuGrooves, right Stew?;) Man do I ever love mine!

~Pete

11. LOL

yeah, the AccuGrooves do amazing things when you plug amazing instruments into them. sometimes I feel guilty that I'm such a hack player compared to the gear I'm slinging!

;)

from the low end,

Stew

12. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    You and me both, Stew haha.

~Pete

13. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Stew sure was killin those two 8 stringers at his solo show the other night. If he would have only brought them accugrooves :( Great pic Stew. Use that new computer again and post that Bee.
    Later

14. hey KB,

thanks for the kind words, man!

since you asked, though, here's a shot of the Bee...

from the low end,

Stew

15. and here's the back...

from the depths of low,

Stew

16. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Lovin it, could dive off of that fingerboard!!!

17. you really should play it for a while, man... it's UNREAL!!

from them lows,

Stew

18. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Stew man, you know me from the ERB ring. GT-7 player and all.

I've watched that clinic in Guitar X a couple of times, and your playing is great. I really like your style (except the intonation on fretless, but I understand that you had just gotten the Bee), and today when my high school's jazz band was playing Blue Bossa, I kept thinking, "What would Stew do?"

The answer is of course, dive deep. :D And it was awesome.

I noticed that a lot of the times when you go to nail the low G on your F# string, you do a full body movement- your go to the left, while kicking your right hip out a little bit, plucking witht the thumb. It's pretty bizarre, but cool anyway. :)

19. hey Eric,

good to see you posting here, too!

yeah, I had just gotten the bass and I hadn't played fretless for about 15 months when that video was shot.

thanks for the very kind words!

as to the full body thing, I tend to play more from the gut than from the head. that's part of the reason I got into the 8 to begin with. a lot of times I "feel" things rather than try to analyze where they came from in my psyche.

love "Blue Bossa", by the way. it was one of the few pieces that Greg and I played during that tour more than once!

it's really nice to know that someone watched the vid. thanks, man!

from the low end,

Stew