Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheesy song, cool bass line...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by KampKomfort, Sep 4, 2000.

1. KampKomfort

KampKomfort

Jul 27, 2000
    OK, dumb yourself down for a minute to indulge my observation (e.g. sniff glue, self-inflicted 2X4 to the head, tap the rockies, etc.) Just wanted to share this with everybody...

I heard "Head Over Heels" by Tears for Fears on the radio the other day, and what a cool bass line! I know--the song is straight 80's pop--but I was really suprised by how much song is carried by the simple, yet dynamic bass line. Even the outro fretboard slides are cool. If I was in an 80's cover band, it would probably be fun to play.

Any similar experiences?

KK

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    How about Sourgirl by Stone Temple Pilots. When I first heard it, I loved the bassline, even though it's a pretty cheesey song.

Dave

3. How about 98% of the stuff from the disco era? A lot of those songs were completely cheesy, but the bass playing on most of them was funky as hell. Check this month's BP for a good example.. the article on Janice-Marie Johnson.. "Boogie Oogie Oogie."

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    How about Paul McCartney's Silley little love songs Great bass line cheesy song.
    Dave I have been a Janice Marie fan forever she's a talented bassplayer I love cheesy disco:D

5. Me too, I always wondered why I liked that stuff back then, and as soon as I started playing bass, I figured it out! :)

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Rio" - Duran Duran

aquamentus likes this.
  7. KampKomfort

KampKomfort

Jul 27, 2000
    No kidding! The song even pokes fun at itself, but that bass line is excellent. I play along with that sometimes when I need a pick-me-up.

8. my idea of cheesy song cool bass line is Queen's Crazy little thing called love. I use it as a warm up for practice all the time.

9. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Let's see here:

*ANYTHING by Chic (Bernard Edwards was incredible, but
    those LYRICS!)

*Loverboy's "Turn Me Loose" (a simple octave thing,
    but it WAS the first bassline I picked up in '81) and
    "Take Me to the Top"

*Duran Duran - "Rio"'s been mentioned, but how 'bout
    "Girls on Film"(very Bernard Edwards-ish) and "Save a Prayer"?

*Kajagoogoo - "Too Shy" (OK, OK, guys, I know I'm pushing
    it! HAHA)

*Most of McCartney's post-Beatle work (Hey, but Macca's
    STILL my main man!)

10. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I was going to say the same thing.

-GM

11. Here's one for you:

The Four Seasons- December, '63 (Oh What a Night)

I'm not sure who the bassist is but he does some killer grooving in that song!

12. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Here's another one: "Come and Get Your Love" by
    Redbone. It's got some cool 16th-note finger-funk.
    Almost Rocco-esque (well, maybe I wouldn't go THAT
    far).

13. Agreed. Except that's not a cheezy song! It's got a great horn arrangement and a great hook.

14. Well, the lyrics are a bit cheesey...:)

15. I love 80s music.
    Anything Duran Duran and you're going to laugh at me but Wham had some cool bass lines too.

(Pause, waiting for laughter to die down)

I love the 70s too, check out Earth,Wind and Fire, Al Jerreau and anything Stevie Wonder.
    And for disco/funk try a band called Pleasure their songs are cheesy but the bass is funky as hell!

16. I just heard this song again for the first time in about 20 years, and yeah, the bassline is killer! Kinda Jaco-esque melodic stuff. (song is VERY cheesy though!)

Here's the bass player, Nick Beggs, armed with Chapman Stick, looking very gay ;). Says he recently toured with Howard Jones:

[​IMG]

17. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    This is like true confession time, but as much as I hated The Village People, I always dug the hell out of the bass line (and tone - WOW!) from "YMCA". If I could ever pick a definitive vintage P-bass sound, that would be it.

18. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    okay, i know its not a real bassline, but that dub/bass/synth part of the chemical brothers "block rockin beats" is cool TO ME.

btw the way stingray5, if i put a cuecat on your signature line, is it going to take me somewhere?

19. ckonthe1

ckonthe1

Oct 26, 2000
    Nashville, TN

I love the 70s too, check out Earth,Wind and Fire, Al Jerreau and anything Stevie Wonder.
    And for disco/funk try a band called Pleasure their songs are cheesy but the bass is funky as hell! [/B][/QUOTE]

MAN!!! The 70's were it! Back home in Portland Oregon, I used to go hear Pleasure
    play in the clubs! WHEW!!!! FUNKY!!!! Nate Phillips and Bruce Carter! That
    was a rhythm section! EWF, Chic, Brother Johnson all that late 70's early 80's
    funk/disco had some cool bass stuff on it!

20. thayer182

thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    hey cornbread! I luv that Stone Temple Pilots song too! that really is an awesome bass line!