Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cheezewiz

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by Tim Cole, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Great guy to deal with, even threw in something called a fleshlight? Not sure what it is, but the dogs wont even go near it! :D

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Straight-shooter, excellent transaction with no surprises.

3. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Had one transaction. He showed me who he is.

Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Received Fafner at work. Plugged in to test (without speakers) It turned on and fan was quiet. Packaging was thrown away because there was no shipping damage to box or contents. I never sign for damaged packages.

1b. There would have been no case for damage claims anyway, and I have photo's that would bear this out.

1c. Though I prefer FedEx for obvious reasons, I certainly did not "insist". And if I had "insisted" he could certainly of said "forget it". We are grown men here, correct?

2. At home that evening plugged amp in using 2 brand new Speakon to Speakon Horizon cables to my EA VL-208 cabs.
    Get hum but no sound. Lights on - but nobody home.

3. Call Cheezwiz - ask if there is anything I should know.
    Say's no, it worked on Saturday. Ok. I assume it must be cables. Friday night I check those cables and my speakers with SWR 350 chrome borrowed from a friend and all check out fine with that amp. Hope fades fast.

4. Saturday, get Speakon to 1/4" cables from Sam Ash and these don't work either. Look into my old standby repair service Mid-Town, only to find out they are no longer open Saturday's and limiting the repairs they take in. (Found this out thru their phone message. Call wife of Cheezwiz to say we may need to undo deal and to have him call me.
    I proceed to another dealer I trust, (Minstrel Music) and it's
    his opinion the output array is cooked. His opinion is that whatever part was about to crap out, simply decided to crap out on my watch. Ok.
    Talk to Cheezewiz about just returning problematic amp and getting my non-problematic amp back. Say's ok.
    Calls back later offering to purchase the Mesa and I tell him I'd be more comfortable with a return. Ok.

5. I carefully (I have pictures) pack and ship Fafner back to him as well as include the 1/4" to Speakon cables purchased on Saturday.

6. I receive the Mesa back with a sadly mangled rack ear(still rackable though, thank god) and packaged in a manner that made it a miracle it came back at all. ( It was originally packed double boxed and positioned vertically and diagonally in a 18x18x24 box) It came back in the same box positioned flat so that the amp poked out of the box.

The rack ear corner looks like it was mangled with vice grips.

7. I've been plugging in amps for 30+ years with no problems.

8. End of story.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Epilogue:

Keep in mind, the return was the right thing to do and had the positions been reversed I'd have done the same.

Also, the expense incurred for shipping was the same for both parties. As for repair/shipping cost. I didn't ship a D.O.A.

I take exception to the "careless" packing and resulting cosmetic defacing of the Mesa, hence the negative review.

It's also amazing to me how many witnesses there were to this transaction. ;)

4. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Bassart advertised his Mesa M2000 for trade. I had an EBS Fafner I was willing to trade since I had been wanting a Mesa.
    We came to an agreement to swap amplifiers.

Bassart insisted on shipping Fedex, which although it was much more difficult for me to use rather than UPS, I agreed on.

I shipped my Fafner to him, he shipped his Mesa to me. We both received the amplifiers on the same day. The Mesa was well packed, and was just as advertised. I loved the way it sounded and was very happy with the deal. Bassart emailed me and advised he got the Fafner, it powered up, the fan was dead quiet as he had hoped, and all was well with the deal.

Later that evening, he called me at home, and said the Fafner did not work (despite his email earlier in the day).
    He insinuated I sent him a broken amp by saying "Scouts honor you used the amp for a gig Saturday?" I assured him that I had, and that the amp was in excellent condition when it left my house. I assured Bassart I would do whatever it took to make the deal right.

We exchanged MANY emails over the next several days. Bassart thought maybe the problem was with the speakon cables he was using. He advised me that he was buying some new cables, and he felt that would probably be the solution. He further said, if it wasn't, he would take care of any minor fix, but would appreciate my help if it was something major. Again, I agreed.

Several days later, Bassart called my wife while I was at work, and said that the amplifier was broken, and he wanted to trade back. I called him and he said that his repair shop was out of business, so he wouldn't be getting it fixed, and he just wanted to reverse the deal. I agreed to do this, even though I'd be taking a hit shipping, and end up with nothing but a broken amplifier in return. I advised Bassart I would be making a claim with Fedex, since it allegedly got damaged in shipping. He then advised me HIS BOSS had thrown away all the packing material and the boxing I had sent the Fafner in. This ruined my chances of recovering any damage from Fedex, if the amp was indeed damaged in shipping.

I shipped the Mesa back to Bassart, in the same packing and box he sent it to me in (stay tuned because he'll be posting that he's upset about the way it was returned to him). He shipped the Fafner back to me.

I tried the Fafner upon reciept, and found it was indeed broken. I emailed the authorized EBS repair center in the US, and described the symptoms to the tech. I was advised that it was UNLIKELY that the amplifier was damaged in shipping, and more likely that a bad cable or speaker was hooked up to the amp, causing a problem in the power section. See above where bassart thought maybe one of his cables caused the problem.

Bottom line, I was out shipping 4 ways (to/from Bassart, then to from/repair), the cost of a repair, and the cost of borrowing or getting other gear to use in the meantime. I recieved nothing in return other than a broken amplifier that was fine when I sent it, and a negative feedback from bassart. Bassart DID send the new speaker cables he bought to try after his old ones didn't work, but I didnt ask for them, don't need them, and would be glad to return them to him.

I did each and every thing Bassart asked me to do to make the deal right. I certainly did show bassart who I was, as he did me.

Edit: I forgot to ad, I DID also offer to buy the Mesa outright.

5. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    AMEN! I've known Cheezewiz for years and we've done a deal where we traded multiple basses and he is as honest and straight up a person as you will find on this planet. I have bought and sold enough things online to know that there are some people who will not be happy with a purchase EVER, no matter how much you bend over backwards to please them.

6. Yeah, I gotta chime in here with some good feedback for cheeze. I've never known him to be anything but completely honest and above reproach in all his dealings.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Pat is a stand up guy. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with or even loan him gear despite the fact that he is 2000 miles away from me. I know who the good guys are.

8. I did a bass trade with Pat. By far the easiest transaction Ive ever made. Quick responses to e-mails, and quick shipment. My product arrived well packed and exactly as advertised. We have even kept in touch to see how the traded basses were suiting one another.

9. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    I bought a Deep Impact pedal from Pat whereupon he proceeded to donate ALL the money to the Ray Duke Fund (Ray had a heart attack and had no health insurance). It arrived in perfect order as new, as described in the original packaging. He followed up to make sure I got it and that it arrived safely. he is truly a stand up guy.

Whoever is deleting Pats positive feedbacks please don't delete this. This is true and from knowing Pat from years of surfing bass boards, it's indicative of the kind of guy that he is.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

This part of the post really says it all, doesn't it?

11. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    I bought Cheeze's Eden 410T from him.

He advertised, I offered, he returned, I asked him to wait while I sold a cab - he did (thanks, btw!!!) - I sent him money - I got the cab (2 days shipped - not bad) - he emails me the next day to make sure all is well.

I gotta say - this was a transaction I was worried about - buying a big cab I'd never heard from a guy I'd never met. But I am very happy - very happy.

I would deal with Pat - Cheezewiz - again any time, and twice on Sundays - with no worries. His description was honest - and the gear I got was exactly as advertised. and its a kickin' cab.

Thanks!

12. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I just completed a trade deal with Pat and it was a very pleasant expereince, excellent communication and everything was exactly as promised. Pat is an all around stand up guy and I hope that he enjoys his bass as much as I am enjoying mine.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I've done at least a half dozen deals with Pat over the years and he's always been 110% standup in all of his transactions.

I'll go on further to state that the deals I've done with him were all in the $750+ price range.

Never a problem!!

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

Hey, ***!! I didn't get a fleshlight!!!! :confused:

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Keith....yours will be on the way when I'm done with it! :hyper:

16. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Thanks, but I'll only accept one if its still in the shrink wrap.
    ;)

17. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    bought a rack from cheeze (its one good lookin' rack... :D ) he was professional and recieved it in better than expected condition. I would buy from him again anyday...

18. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I was just reminiscing about my old Mesa/Fafner deal, and noticed that "Bassart" has not posted on talkbass since this deal went bad. That should tell you anything you want to know.