1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chef on tour in China

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Read all about it here y'all:
    http://mymissourian.com/
    ironweedband.blogspot.com

We play on CCTV tonight at 8;50 Jinan time; then off to the Cinderella nightclub. We played the Taoist Monastery in Qingdao yesterday. When we played the Tsingtao Beer Festival, it took twenty minutes to leave the venue for all the times we had to stop and get our pictures taken with folks: it's like being the Beatles or something;)
    I gotta run to rehearsal for the TV show, but check the blog, and I'll try to report back here if I can, tho interent and time are both sketchy...

chef

2. That is so cool! Looks like you guys are having a blast. And, that Jazz bass photographs very nicely.
    Travel safely and play well!

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Wow! Very cool! :cool:

I hope you brought your own toothpaste...

:D

Cheers,
    Kevin

4. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Sounds cool! ...but initially I thought this thread was about Isaac Hayes touring in China... :ninja: :D

5. What a gig! I thought that I did road gigs. You win:D

Be safe and have fun!

K

6. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Qingdao is where a lot of my seafood is processed. As you
    may have noticed, there is a heavy German settler influence
    there, notably manifested in the availabilty of decent BEER!

Take pics man!

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

awesome news !!
    :D
    have a great time and take loads of
    pictures ...
    :bassist:

8. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Wow that is so cool! Have fun!

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey y'all...interent is sketchy here, and it's all we can do to get stuff to the blog addy above.
    There are some pics there.
    It's a blast. I guess around 10 million people saw the TV show. People recognise us walking around now. As we couldn't secure permission to sell our cd's here from the chinese govt, we're just giving them away to folks.
    The sound tech from the Qingdao openeing ceremonies runs the biggest nightclub in Jinan where we are right now, so we've had a pickup gig or two there.
    The house band is from Beijing, doing a 3 month 7 day a week stint. Clubland opens around 9pm, and closes at 4am weeknights, whenever it plays out on weekends.
    We've had another club owner approach us about playing his place, Pyramid, which we may do after our arranged by the Culture Bureau gig this evening.
    Gotta go to sound tech;

alan

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hey y'all;
    here's some pics...

There's a shot of the Tsingdao opening ceremonies stage, a shot of a typical "rock star" dinner gathering with the endless table of food, a shot of "gambei," which is a "bottom's up toast." The Chinese believe that food and drink bind friendships together, and so they do. It's not uncommon for there to be 10-20 toasts at dinner; these folks can out drink Dierik the German!
    There's a shot of the stage for the TV show we were on during rehearsal, a shot of us playing on TV, a shot of me with the crowd from the show...people are this excited to see us everywhere we go, really, it's amazing.
    The sound tech for our performance at the Tsingdao ceremonies runs the biggest nightclub in Jinan, "Cinderella." It's huge, and broken into theme rooms: karaoke, band stage, a disco, a "girls dancing stage"picture girls in go go boots dancing to 60's music...a "boy and girl meet room" which is a big oval table where single guys are outside, girls are on the inside...the chinese version of "speed dating. There's a pic of us on stage there. The "house band" was a great group from Beijing doing a three month stint of 7 nights a week there. Clubs sty open til at least 4am. These guys did a great repotoire of modern chinese rock, some of their own arrangments of traditional chinese poetic lyrics mixed into their own music, and even traditional chinese Beijing Opera libretto over their own modern rock compositions.
    The Trike Trucks are typical heavy load transportation here; motorcycle front ends with one ton axles, and loads certainly bigger than that. 1500cc single cylinder engines that sound like a 1930's John Deere tractor with a 600 rpm redline..."pop-pop-pop," ver slow.
    The lady on the tiger is Linda-Xu Hsaio Tien-our tanslator at a National Park near Langgu. The park is to commemorate a hero from 600 years ago who killed a tiger that had been killing villagers there for some time. He came to town, drank 18 bowls of "wine," went to sleep on a big flat rock..the tiger woke him, and he hit it with his walking stick, then killed it by hand. We got to try the "wine," which was made from local corn, certainly 100 proof or better-think Moonshine, not wine as we know it...
    The dinner table is us with the Cultral and Tourism Board Bureau heads from Langgu, and some heads of the hotel staff, who co=operatively arranged a big show for us that night. This is typical of how we're treated here...huge dinners with important people, many courses of great food typical of each area we've visited. The shot of me and the National Park Director toasting is "gambei," or ''bottom's up toast." The Chinese that food and drink bind a friendship forever, and it's typical to have 10-20 gambei toasts at a meal...The shots of us on stage with the life size photos are from the hotel show that night...you can see the effort they went to to make the shot look and sound great. They had those same photos running on big screen tv's in the hotel lobby advertising the show, all week. Amamzing.
    This is all typical of the kindness, friendlyness, and lengths that folks here have gone to to treat us so very well during our whole stay here. Columbia will have to work very hard to reach the high bar set by our hosts here when it's our turn to host the return end of this cultural exchange.
    I'm very grateful to have the cahnce to represent Columbia and America; this is a great opportnity for us to help open doors between our two countries, and I think all four of us are taking this repsonsability very seriously.
    On a "what a small world note," Jake and I were in the hotel bar here relaxing a bit last night, and started up conversation with the great pianist playing there...it turns out her Uncle moved to our very own Columbia Missouri, 10 years ago. I'm sure our friends of China group must know him. This is not the first time we've met someone on this trip who had ties to our hometown, or knew someone who lived there, had studied there, or planned to.
    How cool is that?

alan

ceremonystage.
    club.
    hotel2.
    hotel.
    tvshow.
    tvstage.
    tvcrowd.
    translatortiger.
    triketruck.
    gambei.
    typicaldinner.

11. Nice pictures. Looks like you are having a blast!

12. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    hey Alan,

Way too cool! I'd been wondering how this trip would go for you. If you have opportunity to go out for 'hot pot' I'd definitely recommend it

Hmmm ... and to think that I knew him before he was 'it' in China. I need to enshrine the couch you sat on last time you visited my place :D

looking forward to hearing/seeing more of your adventures

all the best,

R

13. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Great stuff, Chef! Glad you're having such a wonderful trip. Now I need to get Chinese food for lunch...:)

14. Looks like a great time!!

15. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    oh~~~that's cool~~mr chef sir~~
    i think u had a good time~~

16. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Wow, that looks fantastic. Have a great time!

17. Now that's a gig!

Sounds like you're having a great time.
    Great pictures too.

Thanks for sharing!

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO

19. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005