Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Chemical Wire"

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by mattzink, Aug 23, 2005.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Hello Mike Watt:
    I recently listened to the fIREHOSE song "Chemical Wire" for the first time in like a decade. Wow. I realize this is the wrong place to post this (moderator: feel free to strike down this post with extreme prejudice), but if you're ever in the midwest (particularly IN), can I catch you after a show and have you teach me how to play that damn song?

Any other you talkbassers have any hints (short of downloading software that slows down bass runs) about how to play this run?

2. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Think pentatonic. It's just fast.
    Great run... I agree. It's lots of fun to play once you get it down.

The one on that album (probably the one album that showed me how cool it is to play the bass) that still kills me, is "Relatin' dudes to Jazz" That song is damned hard still for me to play convincingly.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    +1

G pentatonic, I think. Fast, slides, fun.

4. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    i messed with it a bit - i think i have the jist of it now; it's getting the speed and slides (as mentioned above) to sound right.

and i concur with your comments about "relatin' dudes to Jazz". Really that whole album is just exceptional, exceptional work. I had already admired Watt's work with the Minutemen a great deal (Watt, Bruce Foxton from the Jam, and John Entwhistle are the three main reasons I picked up a bass). But with the Minutemen, although there were some complex bass lines, I mostly liked the power of the playing and originality of the lines. With fIREHOSE, he seemed to be getting more technical. Regardless, Watt remains a hero of mine - not just for his bass plaing, but his seemingly low maintainence way of life.

I'll post here again if i figure it out.

5. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    One other thing: does anyone know (Mr. Watt - do you know?) if "Corndogs" will be coming out on DVD?

6. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    the movie isn't "corndogs", it is "we jam econo: the story of the minutemen"