Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

chemistry help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Mar 3, 2005.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    ok, check it out.... i have A NEW QUESTION!

anyone wish to explain the chemical process of flash powder exploding? KCl04 + Al ----(heat)---> ?

thanks,
    Slick

2. Seems to me that is the product of every combustion reaction... I would assume you are right on the money. Oh, yeah, CO only comes from incomplete combustion. It is more likely that CO2 + H2O is the answer you want.

3. Yes, CO2+H2O

You can trust me, I got an A on that test :bassist:

Edit: Balance that sucker(if you have too)

C10H12 + 12O2 ----> 6H2O+10CO2

I think that's right, haven't done that in a while.

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    C10H12 + 13O2 ----> 6H2O+10CO2

Its 13O2, not 12.

5. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well jeez, guys... who asked you to balance it?!? way to take the fun out of it... hahaha

but seriously, thanks a lot everyone,
    Slick

6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Typical hydrocarbon combustion...the only thing I know how to do...wish I could have helped.

7. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I do not see how it is possible to pass Chemistry. I have a 36 in it. We took a test today that I'm pretty confident I passed. Chemistry is so abstract to me and nothing seems to make sense. We took a poll of my class, 70% of the people are failing. Maybe I just have a bad teacher, who knows?

8. Well, if 70% of your class is failing, it's probably your teacher.

For me, things concepts are easy to grasp, and I find I enjoy it. I'm thinking of becoming a Chemical Engineer or something, and make new things for a living, I think that'd be fun.

To me it also seems like some people get it, and others don't, I tutor my friend like everyday after school, and he still can barely scrape out a C in the class :meh:

Edit: Good call on the 13O2

9. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    yeah, it is odd how some people really enjoy chemistry, while others simply detest it and see, (or rather DONT see) nothing of use that could come of it.

thankfully, i love chemistry, and i really hope i can make it a career someday. There is hope, because i heard my chem teacher talking about how all of the "sputnik" era scientists highered during the cold war are all now getting old, and the government is pushing universities to train more scientists. (by giving out more scholarships and whatnot)

well, i hope i can catch a ride on this train

slick

{edit} I have a new question at top of post... :D

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    There is no element with an abbreviation of L is there?

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    KCO4 + Al ------------------ CO2 + Al2O3 + K

That might be right. I've never heard of Al2O3 before though. I bet its all horribly wrong. (I decided to assume the L was a typo.)

Actually, this probably doesn't even answer your question. You asked for an explanation of the chemical process, and I have no idea how to answer that.

I wonder if I can balance it now. This is tougher than the last.

EDIT: 3KCO4 + 2Al ------------------ 3CO2 + 2Al2O3 + 3K ? Thats balanced. Though I still don't know if thats what is produced. It probably isn't. I've only had one year of high school chemistry.

12. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    sorry, it is potassium perchlorate (KClO4) , and yes, Al2O3 is aluminum oxide, which would make sense. But when the Potassium nitrate decomposes after heat is added... what is there? i guess that is my real question. I want to get into lab and do it, but i cant right now.

my best guesses is that potassium oxide (K20) would form, along with oxygen, (O2) Chlorine gas mb? (Cl2) and then possibly potassium chloride (KCl)

the problem is that i just dont KNOW for sure, and i was hoping that maybe someone on TB, being the smart sons (and daughters) of b*&ches that we are, would know for sure.

thanks,
    Slick

13. No, it's KCl O4, like 1 potassium, 1 chlorine, and 4 oxygens.

Never mind.

14. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hmmm.... i think that it decomposes to O2 and KCL.... lets see if i can find some more websites that say that....

15. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I don't think it would form chlorine gas. At least not if you meant normal gunpowder when you said flash powder. There probably wouldn't be much solid matter either, like the potassium oxide. (Potassium chloride? I don't know what that actually is. The problem with me is I can figure out the formulas, but don't know what elements actually do what.)

I think as much of it as possible would turn to gas, or be mixed with it to make smoke.

I'll think about it more tomorrow. I'm going to bed.

16. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    It will do this:

3KClO4 + 8Al -> 3KCl + 4Al2O3

Its obviously an oxidation reaction, so one product is Al2O3. KCl is the most stable product of the remaining reactants.

17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  18. It's been a while but I think this is right. There aren't hydrocarbons on the left side so it would be kind of hard for combustion to happen. Once again, it's been a while.

ps. If you take aluminum and add salt to it, it will probably rust. So there we have it.

19. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    super neato... thats what i got! man, i love chemistry. Is "oxidation" a realy term? that would be much easier than saying, "well, first it is a decomposition reaction, and then a synthesis reaction"

hmmm....
    i have so much more to learn, it is really cool!

slick

(oh wow... i think i just realized how much of a nerd i am. whups! haha)

20. REDOX!
    LEO says GER!