Chemistry Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Mar 14, 2006.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    AP chem is fun, but these questions are are giving me fits:

What happens to the concentration of oxygen in water if the partial pressure of oxygen above the water is tripled at the same temperature, without changing the total pressure?

At room temperaure, the vapor pressure of acetone is 176 torr, and the vapor pressure of ethanol is 50 torr. WHat is thw mole fraction of ethanol in the solven vapor above an equimolar solution?

I know i cant really get through these ones, but maybe some of the smarties in the forum board could give me a hand.

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    You need to use Henry's law. The solubility of a gas is directly proportional to the partial pressure of the gas above the solution.

The vapor pressure of a liquid is the partial pressure of the vapor over the liquid at equilibrium. You should be able to work it out from there.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You're only cheating youself - the process of learning is what is important - finding things out for yourself, is what develops your skills in research etc.

If somebody just "spoonfeeds" you the answer, then you're losing out!! :meh:
  4. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i understand the learning process, but sometimes i need a little shove to get my brain juices flowing. Our dumb textbook has really been helping me, so i was hoping to gain some advice online. It also helps me to set up relationships between the information if i know the correct answer. Kind of like working backwards.

but thank you for the help.

5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    What textbook do you have?