Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cherish your pets while you can…

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Nov 15, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Some of you may recall our continuing battle with cancer affecting Hawk, one of our Greyhounds. This isn’t about him.

We have four Greyhounds: Hawk, our eldest; Nissan; Lisa; and our baby, Saber (the red menace). We adopted Saber about a year and a half ago as younger company for Lisa, who is a real firecracker. Hawk and Nissan are both over ten years old, and are slowing down a bit.

Lisa and Saber bonded quickly and deeply - they can usually be found sleeping in an intertwined "puppy pile". They’re two peas in a pod.

Last week, we took Hawk in for his bimonthly post-chemo checkup (he was clear) and dragged Saber in just to get him Avid chipped. Our Doc gave him a once-over, and noticed a mild heart murmur. He didn’t feel it was much to worry about, but started him on a low dose of a bronchodialator/diuretic anyway.

This morning, my mother-in-law went out in the back yard for a smoke, and the hounds followed. I heard a thunk and a yelp, so decided to investigate. Saber was down against the fence, wild eyed and gasping for air.

I determined that he had a pulse, but wasn’t moving any air and his tongue was rapidly turning blue. I started artificial respiration out there in the back yard, in the rain wearing my robe. It was too slippery outside, so I picked him up and carried him inside to continue.

I don’t know if I was successful in getting an airway. He died in my arms after about five minutes of revival attempt, gasping for air until he lapsed into unconsciousness.

We took him up to our vet to be posted, and their preliminary feeling is that it was a stroke. We’ll know more at the end of the week when the labs are back. We have a private (i.e. not group) cremation scheduled for next Saturday.

We’ve been bracing ourselves for Hawk’s death ever since he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma; we never thought we would lose Saber first. The one thing that I take comfort in is that I had just finished giving him a big back scratch, hug and kiss before he went outside this morning - if I had yelled at him for barking or shoved him away for being pesky, I don’t know how I would deal with it.

Remember to cherish your pets every day - for they will be gone before you know it…

Go gently into the arms of the Goddess, Glory Saber.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    :(

3. Ken, I'm sorry for your loss.

Our pets are part of the family and it hurts when they go!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

...I just don't know what words to say, but I do empathize with your situation, having lost my first son (Pembroke Welsh Corgi - Ripley) some years ago. It doesn't matter if it was expected or not, the pain is the same, and is never completely gone, but remember the happy times, and he will live as long as you do.

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

I hope you can find some peace in knowing you gave them a good home and for giving them love. Something they never could get from the race tracks.

I had a retired racer, they are wonderful pets.

My thoughts are with you while I give my dog(Mojo) and cat(Geddy) a little extra attention.

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'll hug Shadow extra hard for you tonight :(

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I agree with odie, and I'm really sory, i have a greyhound too, theyre wonderful animals.:(

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bawl:

I'm all teared up :(

Well wishes to you and yours.... Give Lisa an extra hug from the Mrs's and I

9. Sorry about your loss. :(

10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I'm sorry HeavyD, I know exactly what you're
    feeling, and it hurts... After my kitty was
    eaten by raccoons, I was in a bad state. What
    helped me was focusing on my music; I also went
    out and got a new little buddy. Maybe this pic.
    will cheer you up.

Slug

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Here he is, already getting into the sounds
    of bass![​IMG]

12. :( I'm sorry for your loss man. That just blows. :(

14. I feel for you, Ken. I tend to bottle up the hurt, so the following page has been good for me. I go there and read and cry it out.
    Healing Prose and Poetry for pet owners
    My favorite:

THE FRAGILE CIRCLE
    We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own,
    live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
    Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
    We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
    never fully understanding the necessary plan.

-Irving Townsend

15. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sorry for your loss, Heavy. That's quite a bummer.

so....cute....must....resist! :D

16. I'm very sorry to hear. RIP Saber.

17. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Terrible news, Ken...condolences from my family to yours.

Comfort yourself with the fact that you took an animal that had been marked for an early death and gave him a loving home and family. He died as happily as is possible, in the arms of his Papa. I wasn't there when my 10 yr old Rott passed away this summer, and it hurts.

That's a great, great thing you guys do (greyhound rescue).

18. sorry to hear about that, HD.

best to you man.

19. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    It's like losing a family member.
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't know how I'm going to handle it when I lose my boy?

20. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    very sad indeed. seeing him in those pictures and knowing that he is no more really hurts, even if i didn't know him.