1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cherry and maple single cut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chris_Toot, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    Ive been working on a new build lately and decided it was time I make a new thread.
    There's a few different types of maple going into this. One of which being some birdseye I got from home depot and another being a small piece of ambrosia I scored from lowes.
    The cherry is salvaged from a job site i was on a few weeks ago. I believe from an old bed frame.

I havent worked out all the details yet but heres what I know so far.
    Cherry/ maple single cutaway.
    Scarfed headstock joint
    Chambered.
    Probably 21 frets.
    Single mag pickup with a piezo under the bridge.
    Everything else will be worked out along the way. Hopefully i dont kick myself for that.
    0313172321a.
    I anticipated the body being much longer than what it turned out so I'll be doing some extra trimming now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Beej likes this.
  2. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    The wings will be cherry, viewable from the back. And the top is going to be a thin piece of figured maple I got off eBay for cheap!
    0308172213a.
    $_57.
    And heres the neck blank. Cherry with birdseye center.
    0306172216a.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Dec1975 likes this.
  3. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    The cherry wings are a little over 1" and the top I ordered is 3/16. Overall I'm aiming for 1 3/4" total thickness so right now I'm trying to figure out what to fill the gap with, which is almost 1/2". Any suggestions?

4. Black walnut might look nice for a dark contrasting layer.

William Shafer and Chris_Toot like this.
  5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    You could also do a back at 3/16 in addition to your top at 3/16, and do layers of thin veneer between - that would bring you up to your thickness, maybe a little short...

Chris_Toot likes this.
  6. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Black walnut sounds very tasty. Im putting some thought into that but with work being slow right now funds are tight. Might be able to swing something though. Being chambered, I could probably just put a spacer piece around the perimeter and save on materials.
    @Beej a back sounds nice, too, but id like to show off the cherry on the back. So im leaning away from putting a back on. I could just build up some maple that I have left. I guess I should have mentioned this is a budget-ish type build :roflmao:

7. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    The center stringer of your body is Ambrosia Maple, not Spalted.

Chris_Toot likes this.
  9. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    See, i wasnt sure if it was ambrosia or spalted because i didnt see any worm holes in the piece itself. I assumed spalted. Thanks for clearing that up with me.

10. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Yup, the ambrosia is neat. I built a jockey box enclosure using all ambrosia maple. Seems pretty stable and takes a finish nicely. I have about 5 BF left if I remember correctly.

Nice body shape and wood selection for the build!

Chris_Toot likes this.
  11. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have some beautiful curly Ambrosia that I am dying to cut into. Many months away, however ...

Make sure you keep the pretty side down when you glue that top on ;)

Chris_Toot likes this.
  12. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    The ambrosia/ cherry sandwich will have the figured maple top on either side of it. No way im gonna cover that beauty up!
    And the back is going to be cherry/ birdseye/cherry etc ect
    I wasnt too clear on how the pieces would be oriented, sorry about that
    Heres the back so far
    0315171343a.

13. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    Thanks for the kind words @PDX Rich. Whats a jockey box btw?

14. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    A jockey box is a converted cooler for beverage dispensing. Kegged product powered by CO2 tank goes into jockey box via hose, which travels through stainless steel coil inside cooler before being dispensed on other side of cooler via faucet. Ice water surrounds the steel coils to cool down aforementioned beverage.

My wife and I own a cider company so we needed to make one for events. So when you go to a beer or cider fest and folks are dispensing beverages from a table with a box on top, that is what is happening. :)

The cover is just for aesthetics.

48-qt-coil-cooler-1-faucet-blue-cb481b.

13406796_10208620039713997_5531717907766588168_n.

15. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    Got the wings glued on last night. Still waiting for the top to come in.
    0315171909a.

afa3 likes this.
  16. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    Templates made up last night. Started cutting out on the badsaw but the blade kept jamming up and fell off a couple times so i called it a night. Ill be changing it over tomorrow. 0316171854. 0316172142a.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Beej and afa3 like this.
  17. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    Body cut out and routed.
    Hogged out the chambers with a forstner bit and cleaned it up with the router.
    0319170014a.

afa3 likes this.
  18. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    Ended up making riser pieces out of 1x2 maple that i glued together and router planed to thickness. Ideally i would have like to use some 1/2" walnut or something as mentioned above but money's tight and im impatient. :D 0319172007a.
    Body will be around 20 pieces when done :cool: haha. Again, ideally i would have used larger lumber from the get-go but im just using what i have in front of me.

afa3 and Will_White like this.
  19. Chris_Toot

Chris_Toot

Jun 29, 2016
    Got those risers on a few days ago but I forgot to post these pics.
    0322172240b.
    Now, last night I went to glue on the figured top and had to abort when the glue was almost fully setup :/ I didnt have the right clamps to put side pressure on the thin tops correctly. The clamps I was using had a swivel pad on them and when I went to put pressure they kept sliding off. No matter what i tried everything kept slipping and sliding. Had to wipe all the glue off and call it a night. Any suggestion? After a little research l found out about the bridge method, but, that seems like itd only work on a bookmatched top where the edges touch eachother. I have a raised center section on the body that each side connects to. So i dont think thats going to work. :/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    afa3, I-Am-The-Slime and Beej like this.
  20. I haven't ever done something exactly like what you're doing, but I have used finish nails as register pins. Drill holes in the body a bit smaller than the nails, cut nails to length (leaving the point of the nail), install the nails with the point up - there should be just 1/8" or less sticking up. You can then carefully dry mount the top so the nails make indentations into the top wood. Then glue it up and line up the holes with the nails. You have to be careful on that last step as you can easily make new holes (that are not lined up) if you're not careful. This is my normal process to install fretboards.

There is an old woodworkers trick I've heard of, but never tried, of adding salt to the glue so there's more traction and less slipping between pieces, but I don't know if that really works.

Chris_Toot likes this.