Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cherry as a body wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Gollihur, Aug 10, 2000.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I've been talking with the stateside rep for the company that is making carved URBs for me in Bulgaria (want one? lemme know) and we're talking about possibly expanding into a few electric basses that I would customize with electronics on this side of the pond. They're making me a sample for me to evaluate, maple necked jazz width with an early Fender P-style headstock, essentially a jazz body, but out of cherry. Anyone had any experience with a cherry bass. I've heard the expression, but not the wood ;-)

thanks for any info/opinions

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    one of my conklins has cherry for the body, it's very pretty, not too heavy (relatively speaking, it _is_ a 7 string :D), good snappy tone. reminds me a bit of swamp ash, but a bit deeper sounding.

3. Bruce Ridinger

Bruce Ridinger

Dec 18, 1999
    Although Black Cherry and Europeon Cherry are not primary woods for musical instruments, they are used from time to time with good results. They are both hardwoods that range from light brown to dark red in color. Cherry is good to work with and excellent in terms of finishing quality and durability.

It is often best to to use Cherry woods in a natural way for musical instruments v. substantially different staining etc., since they often get darker with age. Also, Cherry sapwood and heartwood colors vary widely.

Cherry woods are moderately priced. The Europeon Cherry woods have greater color variety than the American Cherry too. A big advantage of Cherry wood for musical instruments is that it can be polished to a very high finish.

Other uses of Cherry woods include cabinets, furniture, carving, turnery, decorative veneer, caskets, gun stocks, toys. It is a moderately hard, heavy, and stiff wood. Thus, if your looking for a lightweight bass body, this will not be the most desirable wood. If weight isn't an issue, it can have a distinctive, refined look.

A final note: Curly Cherry is not as curly as Curly Maple veneer.

[Edited by Bruce Ridinger on 08-10-2000 at 06:58 PM]

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    We have cherry cabinets, walls, and millwork...its pretty...

Yeah, ive heard its great as a wood, but not commonly used because its usually knoty. Kinky cherry. Anyway, cant say that ive heard it, but its supposed to be really good, and long lasting...and pretty!