Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cherry is finally here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brooks, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    It all started a year ago - I saw a nice piece of spalted maple on eBay and emailed Warmoth if they would be willing to build me a couple of Jazz bodies if I bought that maple and had it shipped to them.

I didn't expect them to say yes...but they did! I must say, Warmoth (as usual) did a great job. Both bodies came out great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cherry has mahogany back and spalted maple top mated to an AllParts maple neck with black blocks that I got on eBay together with a JP-90 body. Neck was brand new, never used.

Warmoth also shipped me Rio Grande pups and Gotoh bridge. Most of the rest of the stuff came from StewMac (electronics, switches, string retainer) and Blanton Leatherworks (neck plate).

Tuners are off eBay...real cheap, but they turned out great.

I just finished putting her together, electronics are not wired yet, so you will have to wait a bit for tone report.

All in all, another great Warmoth experience!

2. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

just because that was a whole lot of pop ups

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Thanks! I really need a better host.

4. no problem, it really is a sweet looking bass

as for a image host go with the best photobucket free and awesome, never any problems
    http://photobucket.com/

5. WOW that's sweet.

+ on photobucket. They get you for a few bucks after awhile but it woks great

6. they havent charged me and i have been with them for over a year

7. They hit me up for a "donation" about 6 months ago. You get more and better. It was only 20.00 it was worth it

8. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Try Imageshack, completely free as far as I know.

9. Most ISPs offer you a little piece of web storage just for having their service that they dont advertise so most people dont take advatage of it, but if you go to their site there should be a place to sign up for free web storage that would come with your service.
    I used to work at an ISP ;)
    Cheers.
    PS. How much you want for that bass? :D

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Hehe Timid...considering the hassles I went through to put this bass together, I doubt I will ever sell it. Plus, I really love the way it's turned out - it looks great (to me) and feels great and I hope it will sound good too, no reason why it shouldn't. Choice of pups was a bit.. unusual, but I always wanted to try these Powerbuckers. I figure if they don't work out, I can always pop in Basslines MMs.

11. Awesome looking bass, good decisions on everything, bet those Rio's sound great in that bass.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

13. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    really love the white binding on that, very cool :cool:

14. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Oooh, how are the powerbuckers??

15. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Nice! Almost has a G&L-ish look to it... is that what you were going for? Regardless, it looks great.

16. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    No..not really. I have a G&L 2500, and I can see the similarities, but no. Actually, this look came by accident. I bought the spalted maple off of eBay and sent it to Warmoth. Found out that it was thick enough for two tops. I also have a Warmoth fretless neck (maple with ziricote board), and this body was supposed to go with it.

The other body is alder back with honeyburst finish (still working on that one). When the bodies and the neck came in, I tried both combinations, and liked the way binding on this neck and body matched, and pickups and black blocks matched.

I did a temp. wiring last night and was kinda suprised. Powerbuckers actually have a vintage Fender J vibe to them, especially in single coil mode. Series mode is kinda the same thing, just more powerful and with some extra lower mids thrown in. Actually, they sound more 'Fender' to me than Fender's Custom Shop '60s which are in my 75 Jazz.

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Both are JetInk bootlegs. Frankly, I wouldn't have put them on, but when I got that Fender Limited Edition gold neck plate, it kind of made sense. I was looking for a gold plated neck plate and this was the one I found.

As for the tuners, I liked that gold/black combo which goes along with other gold hardware and black pups and blocks on the neck. Mind you, they are a bit heavy, so I still might swap them out for Schaller lights (similar look) or Hipshot Ultralights. I like Schallers but I am not too keen on having to drill Index Holes in the heastock.

18. Wow Brooks, that is a "sexy" bass, really I don't know what to say that bass looks absolutely fantastic... I am speechless, You are very,very lucky.. great idea... hope you have years of playing ecstasy... :D

19. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Thanks Sojehn! Funny you should mention sexy. This is the only bass I have that ladies that have seen it are describing as 'sexy'. To be honest, pics don't really do it justice. Finish is so reflective that I had a really tough time trying to show just how good that spalted maple looks.

20. Seriously though, my favorite colors are burgundy and purple, and the top looks like it's getting close to burgundy, out of alot of basses I've seen lately this one really, in my opinion at least looks just wicked... I love seeing custom basses, I myself would LOVE to get one, but I have no knowledge at all,... I think a custom bass suits the player so much more then some mainstream assembly line bass, that is popular with everybody else who plays... That's why it makes me want to shed a tear when I see a gorgous bass like that... (Guess I got over being speechless..) Either way nice bass,... eventhough I don
    t know you personaly I can honestly say I am genuinely happy for you.. Congrats... :bassist: Hopefully it gets alot of play :D
    BTW May I ask if you have a name for it yet?