1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cherry vs mahogany

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by instigata, Mar 25, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    so i'm trying to pick out a bass body wood. which would be better, mahogany or cherry. as in sustain and density/weight.

2. Mahogany dents easily, cherry doesn't. So that is something that you want to remember when picking the wood. I would say that they are both about the same for density/weight, but I have never played a bass with an all cherry body. One other thing that you want to remember when picking the wood is that once cherry has aged it is a lot darker and IMO looks very nice. If you want to speed up the ageing process (well make it look aged) is to wipe it down with oven cleaner.

lowsound

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I don't think I'd go near a bass with oven cleaner.

Chery is a little more dense and harder to work. I don't think you will find a noticable difference in sustain. I'd say you'll probably have more fun working with the mahogany, but you're safe with either.