Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cherryburst Elrick NJS-5 from NAMM 2002 - Pics + Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Sep 5, 2005.

1. A lot of you probably know of the bass. It's been around the block and passed through a few peoples hands. Vanselus had it for a while and it's featured on a bunch of basstasters clips. Then Gruuv had it for a while and then Eggman had it for a while and sold it to me. It arrived last Friday :hyper:

Specs:

Alder Body
    Bolt-on Maple Neck - 24 frets
    Exhibition Grade Quilted Maple Top
    Quilted maple headstock laminate to match
    Birdseye Maple Fingerboard
    Chrome Hardware
    Aero Custom Wound Pickups
    Birdseye Maple pickup covers
    Demeter Active Preamp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Looks:

First off, this bass is freekin' Gorgeous. The pics that I took (and Gruuv, I believe) do a fair bit of justice (more than the pics of my Ken Lawrence do for it) but even so, you really have to see it in person to absorb all the beauty. The quilted maple top is so deep I could go swimming in it. Just the way it shimmers in the light...I could stare at it all day. And the fingerboard is some serious birdseye (looks like a pretty thick slab of it too). Once I put my usual strings on it I'll be sure and take some better pics of the fretboard. I love the headstock shape - kind of a modern twist on a classic design. There's also a thin veneer of Walnut (I'm guessing it's walnut) inbetween the maple back and quilted maple front of the headstock. Looks very classy. There's also a nicely blended layer of Walnut inbetween where the neck meets the body at the heel. Very cool. And Gruuv put some Chrome knobs on it which look a lot better, imo. :cool:

The Sound:

I'm basically echoing what the other 3 guys who have owned it have said but I have to say that it has the best unplugged, acoustic tone I've ever heard from a bass. Unplugged it sounds very, very smooth and clear. Nicely articulated and incredible punch to the midrange. Kinda sounds like it's running through a compressor, even acoustically :p . Gives a nice thump to those fingered notes. I actually expected it to sound a lot brighter with that wood combo, but it's a much more of a buttery soft, smooth and clear sound. Plugged in, it sounds basically the same only amplified when everything is set flat. I'm guessing that's the beauty of the Aero pickups / demeter pre combo. Completely uncolored, set flat. With the Neck pickup solo'd it sounds very woody and organic. The low B sounds amazing also. Very powerful yet clear and defined.

The Feel:

The neck is the same width and same string spacing (19mm) as my Ken Lawrence. It's quite a bit thicker and a different profile however. I don't know much about neck profiles but to me it feels like more of a C profile whereas my KL is more of a U shape. So the fingerboard feels a little wider even though it isn't. Kinda hard to describe. I like how it feels though, especially down in the lower frets where it's still nice and thick. And up towards the heel there's a pretty big cutout that makes access up to the 24th fret nice and easy. I gave it a quick setup (tuned it up and lowered the action a bit) but it still needs a bit more to be perfect for my liking. The neck has a bit much of a bow for my liking but nothing a good truss rod adjustment won't help.

Here's where all the pics are:
    All the ones with DSCF00**** in the title are ones I took. And I didn't resize any of them so they're pretty big pics (thought you'd all like that ).

http://photobucket.com/albums/v106/JasonFan/Elrick NJS-5/

I'll post up some soundclips after I get it back from the shop (sent it to Mike Lull for a full setup :) )

Cheers
    -Greg

2. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    Wow!...wow!!

nice acquisition mate! :)

SOUND CLIPS! SOUND CLIPS!!

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This is still one of my absolute favorite looking basses. I'd love to have a six string version of this.

4. I have loved this bass from afar, many times over. I have also been tempted to purchase it in the past. Glad it found a home!! :)

Hope you enjoy it!

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nice! That E's been around almost as much as my Elrick fretless ;) I really love how the edges of the body's burst turn almost purplish at the edges in the outdoors pics. I don't know if it's just the sky reflecting off of it, but I would love to own a burst like that.

6. Hmm...I think that is the sky. It's cool how the finish changes depending on the lighting you're in :)

7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I love that bass and hope it finally finds a steady home, then again I would prefer that home to be mine! :smug:

8. Alright - here's a quick soundclip I did right before sending it off to Mike Lull's for a setup (should be done tommorrow :hyper: )

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=625223&T=4958

It's in the mix of a song I'm doing bass for. No EQ or compression or anything special. Straight DI to the board :smug:

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That sounds great! Great tone and great playing. Elricks certainly cut through the mix.

10. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    +1

(+1000 for the statement in your sig)

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh, and AJ.......I've asked and Rob will do a 6 string version of the NJS. :D

12. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    if u ever want to sell that I will buy it, cash, RIGHT NOW!

13. when did the knobs get changed? In some pics it has the black plastic ones and in others it has the chrome ones. Either way, beautiful bass! Congrats!

14. I believe Gruuv put the Chrome knobs on. Looks much better that way, I think. :cool:

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love the looks of that bass, the only other flamed top bass that looked that good is AJ Brown's F Bass 6.

16. I love AJ Brown's F bass too :smug:

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you get your bass back from Mike?

18. Yep - picked it up yesterday. He did an awesome job (as usual). Plays great now :)

Still working on that soundclip...

19. Wow that's really a crazy bass....
    Congrats

Vince