Chest Hit Factor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fast slapper, Jan 26, 2002.

1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    What bass cab that you have played had the most hard hitting bass?
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

SWR Megaliath 8x10.
  3. I didn't find that the swr megaliath cab had that much chest punch. IMO, either the eden 410xlt or the ampeg svt 810 will have the best chest punch.
  4. Ampeg SVT1540HE

15 down bottom, 4X10 up top.
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Did I mention that I was powering it with a 400 watt Aguilar all tube power amp? Sometimes it shakes the stage so much I have trouble standing.
  6. no you didn't- and yes, you could even feel your bowels being punched
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You want Chest Thumping?

Bag End (count em Two!)2x18. Dual 18's that use the ELF processor to get down to 8hz! That will not only thump your chest, but pound the living crap out of it.

I want one!
  8. Talk about hitting the "brown note"

Hit a low B into those bad boys, and you will induce bowel movements and childbirth :eek:
  9. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    My two homebuilt 18" JBL folded horns, counterstacked with the ports in the middle. It was like having somebody throw bricks at your chest.

Don't have them any more, but they were fun in the 70's when I built and played them.
  10. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The Bag End 4x18

8x10? God don't make me laugh, that shouldn't even be considered a bass cab.

18s is the only way to go if you're going to play BASS and not some treble instrument.
  11. OMG, i would kill for that setup, not only that, but the muscles and 4 arms to move it all.
  12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I do hope you're joking.

If not, please tell that to the hundreds of bassists that play those God-awful 8x10's, and anything except 18's:rolleyes:
  13. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss

I like the way you think. Thats REAL chest thumping.

Hunter, I will put my 18's up on any 8x10 you can find. But please bring a towel..;) :D

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

You better start laughing at hundreds of bass players world wide, then.
  15. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    although "chest hit factor" isn't a documented science, i feel that it doesn't necessarily mean "bass response"
    Ofcourse you can have an 18 and you'll shake plaster off the walls, but unless its tight, you're going to have lack of definition, or punch. The reason everyone doesn't go out and buy a couple of 18's is that they can be boomy, or muddy. Not saying they are, just that they can be.
    I voted for a ported 810 because they sound tight, punchy, well defined etc. I don't believe that they'll induce volcanic eruptions on the other side of the world, but the "chest hit factor" is definately a maximum, IMO.

just my opinion.... not a contribution to the 18's vs. 8-10's war.
  16. I saw a dude at a little club yesterday with the following set up

Ancient SVT head into a pair of 4x15s AND two enormous C-V subwoofers. The 4x15s were like two 2x15s with a space in the middle. The 2x15s had one forward facing, one facing up (or down) to the space in the middle. He played hard, with a pick, and really did shake the room. Ridiculous, but pretty cool nonetheless. We saw him setting up, said ***?? Heard him hit a note for soundcheck, said OMG!!! I could feel my pants waving around my legs, and my hair moving on my head. You could see ripples in standing water, like T-Rex was coming. No lie.

The main room there is like 20x50 or something, although there's lots of other places to be in that club besides the main room.

I think the band was called Swan. Some sort of otherwise forgettable rap-metal thing.
  17. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Falsehoodbass I agree 100% with you.
  18. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Wouldn't an Acme Low B-4 over-power all of those if you had a 1000watt poweramp? They have been claimed to have better bass than any 1x18 or 1x15, leading me to believe they would have lots of wind pushing power. Just a thought.
  19. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    You need more like 2000 watts with the Acme B4.