1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

chest pain and training

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Fabio_MIJ, May 15, 2017.

1. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    Hi all,

I recently increased the daily upright bass training to 3 X 45 minutes sessions with 15 minutes pause in between.
    After one month I am feeling some left chest pain, expecially when I am tired (and shoulder blade pain from time to time). I also noticed that my left breast muscle is bigger than the right one and my left pinky muscle is also a bit bigger.

I was wondering if the chest pain and muscle asimmetry are common for the double bass. I am 33, I don't think it is something heart-related... but it may be a stress effect. Let me know if you had some similar experience.

best!

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can't speak to any underlying medical issues that may or may not be going on, but when I practice for long periods I feel a slight soreness in the left shoulder, chest, and back. I take that as a good thing since it means that everything below that area is staying relaxed and pain free.

Body asymmetry, OTOH, is often a sign of some sort of compensation for an injury further from the center than the asymmetrically large area. For instance, my left pectoral and gluteus areas are bigger on the left than the right, but my therapist recently told me that it's likely because I've had significant injuries to the left elbow and knee that have been ongoing for years and the larger muscles are compensating. She pointed out how my right biceps and thigh are larger than the left and hypothesized that without the longstanding injuries on the left, I'd probably be a lot more symmetrical.

No idea if playing DB would cause noticeable asymmetry, though.

3. Jason Hollar and rllefebv like this.
  4. Fabio_MIJ

Fabio_MIJ

Feb 3, 2016
    back home
    tnx guys!

Groove Doctor likes this.