Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

chest pounding 15" cabs that are light weight?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 6, 2004.

1. any suggestions on 115 cabs that are low, move a lot of air...and are light weight???

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    How light you looking for? My GK 115RBH blows any other 115 I've tried out of the water and has great range. Its the lightest cab I've ever owned, at 70 lbs.

~Patrick

3. ouch....I'm looking for ~50 lbs

I think I'm starting to GAS for 2 Aguilar GS112's if they are as good and deep as all these reviews say that they are

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I've never personally played one but I hear that schroeder makes very good lightweight cabs.

5. yah I've been GAS'in for a 1210, but I was watching a video on here and I heard that lowend from the 1210 crappin out....may have just been the audio from the camcorder....but that kinda scared me a bit....since the closest place for me to try one is 6 hours away :S

I have a Traynor YBA200 and

a) this amp DEMANDS lowend
    b) I love to move air
    c) I have a bad back

so mix those three things together and you're stuck with my dilema in trying to find cabs

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Avatar maybe? Or I think they discontinued the one I'm thinking of.

~Patrick

7. May I suggest the king of lightweight thumpers?
    FLITE
    1) 15 and a mid
    30lbs
    Eminence speaker
    500w @ 4 OHMS

I love mine, I've got it handling 130hz and below with the crossover in my pre. So the mid isn't doing anything in this setup but on it's own it's very nice.
    Dirk

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    got dough?

Epifani Ultralite 1x15.

tho, i never think of 15" as punchie, IMHO, epi 15's are by far one of the more punchier sounding 15" i've ever used.

but IMHO, for value sake, a pair of aggies are a nice way to go. deeep, plush sound that does remind of a 15", but also a bit more present and midrangey unlike.

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    take a look at the bag end 15" cabs, as they're compact for 15"s and still carry a very nice punch

10. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I use 2 Bag End single 15 cabs with my Mesa Pulse 600 and its a great sounding rig. The cabs weigh about 45 lbs and they sound great.

11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Bag End s15d or s15xd
    the s15xd has a tweeter and crossover but the 15 in that cab is a little different so it's actually even punchier cooler than the s15d (that's hard to do)
    you'll see why thay have a cult like following :cool:
    fwiw, the aggie 112 isn't that bad either, although they arent as punchy or as loud as the bagend

12. I guess punch was the wrong word....I just wanna hit hard....so I guess I wanna move a lot of air

13. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Epifani Ultra lite 2X12", these things are feather light and awesome. super loud, deep and you could used it for demolition.

~trav

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you'll move a lot of air with the bagend - they are conservatively rated for 200 watts RMS, but 800 watts peak
    i, (and plenty of other guys i know), push them with 400 - 1000 watts (within reason)
    and at about 50 lbs and dimensions of 18"x18"x15" they are pretty small

15. Keef Green

Keef Green Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Spovegas Washington
    IT director for a music retailer/dealer: Warwick, Yamaha, Ampeg, Gretch, Kala, Marshall, Orange etc..
    the Bag End S15-D kicks serious booty in the deep bass+portability contest.

I have been using one quite a bit lately. I can put my bass on my back, amp in one hand and the cab (44 lbs.) in the other.

Fits anywhere too, as far as transportation goes or those tight little stages or with that stupid 26 piece drum kit and a drummer who couldn't play a quarter of them if he had to.

I have used it as a PA cab, vocal monitor, and as a sub in a biamped bass rig. It has always performed better than I could have asked for.

And the kicker...stack two of these look out. It could be all you'll ever need...

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Another vote for BagEnd. I use "mini-stacks" consisting of one S-15 and one S-12. The S-15 is rated at 200 watts RMS but I regularly pump 600 watts through it, and it sounds great that way. It's not "super-deep" like a subwoofer might be, but it's extremely punchy and it'll push a lot of air. When I use one in the house, all my curtains and blinds start moving around. :)

17. Right now I have an s15-d and an s15x-d and two Aggie gs112's hooked up to an iamp800. The aggies and the Bag ends are two very tonally different cabs. The aggies are like subs with lots of low end while the bag ends have a ton of mid range punch.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    LOL what was the bass frequency cut off of that "non live music friendly" built in camcorder mic? They make those things for collecting conversation, not Loud and Deep bass ;)

Seriously, I gigged a BagEnd S12 and S15 rig for years... my 1210 is hella deeper and doesn't complain about the B at all!

The BE cut through great in most all settings and sounded great, but IMO/E they don't fill a room like the Schroeder's do. The 1210 has a similar punch but it is definately focused a bit to the lower mids where the BE is Higher mids. I much prefer the darker, warmer low mid burb I get from this cabinet.

From other reviews... the 212 or 21012 might suit you better.

If not the Schroeder stuff, I'll second the Epifani UL stuff!!

19. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    I seventh the bag end.

Haven't tried the schroeder, though.

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I use one of each with a Mesa Pulse 600.I am getting 600 watts @ 4 ohms ...its a beautiful thing.
    I had a conversation with David Boonshaft from Aguilar...we spoke about the Bag End 15's vs the Aguilar 12's. Boonshaft is a bassist who lives in NYC like myself.... and used to play the Bag End 15 cabs. They where perfect for gigging in NYC and travelling by cab...
    He explained to me that although the Bag End 15 cab sounds great and is very portable we are not getting the full range from the 15" speaker since the box is so small.
    The Aguilar with the 12's will produce more low end since the box is designed to get maximum low end from the 12...

I met him at a bass event and it was not a sales pitch but a very informative chat... I have not had the chance to A/B the Bag End with the Aguilar 12's so I am very curious... I guess the same applies to the 12' Bergantino cabs as well??