1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chet Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by peteobass, Nov 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. peteobass

peteobass

Apr 20, 2015
    Hello list! Long time lurker here.
    After many years of wondering it appears I now know who played on two of the best bass albums of my youth: Laura Nyro's 'Eli' album, and Spanky and Our Gang 'Like To Get To Know You'.

Chuck Rainey is (kinda) credited on the former, but his tracks are distinctly his, as are Larry Knetchel's on the latter.

Now a new (to me) name has surfaced.
    Does anyone know anything about Chet Amsterdam?

2. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I just finished listening to Laura Nyro's Eli And The Thirteenth Confession album too. It's easy to hear who's who on bass. Amsterdam's tone is different and it sounds like he's playing a Fender Jazz Bass. Chuck Rainey is well known for playing a Precision Bass in the time period when this record was made. It seems Chet Amsterdam's recording career spans a length of time from the 50's until 2004 when his name list appeared in the credits I found on line. His is a new name for me too. He sure sounds great on the Laura Nyro record!

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    After more than two years, I think it's safe to say the OP is back to lurking.

4. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Maybe..
    I'd sure like to know more about the bassist who's the subject of this thread. I found his work on the record mentioned to be quite inspiring. Really first class stuff!

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016

I was too young to appreciate this when it came out, but man... you can hear that era all over this.

6. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Yeah...it's good stuff! They don't make them like that these days. Laura Nyro was a very young girl when this record was made. Barely out her teens. She died young too from an illness. 49 years old.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sad... that is way too young.

I'm sure you found this out... searching for Chet Amsterdam will provide a lot of Chet Baker, who may or may not live in Amsterdam... and plays the trumpet...

8. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Yep!

9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Laura Nyro is one of favorite artist of all time. All her records had great bassist. The work David Hood did on the Christmas And The Beads Of Sweat and Ronnie Bakers on Going To Take Miracle was outstanding.
    Also, Richard Davis’s rare electric work on her live album.
    No artist makes me think of New York more than Nyro.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020