Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chet Atkins

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pkr2, Jun 30, 2001.

1. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Chet Atkins has passed on.

The music world has suffered a great loss in the passing of one of the worlds great guitar legends. There will never be another Chet. seventy seven albums and not one song that was less than great.

It's a dark day but the music he left behind will always shine bright.

May his soul be at peace.

Pkr2

2. Kinda strange how he had 77 albums, and he was 77 when he died. I'm not too familiar with his work, but I know he is known as a great guitarist by many. A lot of famous people have died in the past few weeks, strange huh?

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Listenin' to some oldies radio and watchin' the local news...
    they flash Chet's pic and I'm yellin', "no! no! NO!...awww CRAP!"

So long Mr. Atkins.

4. I have been a Chet Atkins admirer for some time. He had some baaad chops. Yet, in spite of his enormity (musically), he wasn't too proud to give credit where due. He was absolutely dumbfounded after hearing another of my (deceased) favorites, Lenny Breau on guitar, and gave the man (Lenny) all the respect he deserved.

Yes, Pkr2, the music world has definitely suffered a great loss.

5. The most scared I've ever been, and the proudest I've ever been, was when I looked at the audience at a Nashville showcase, and saw Mr. Atkins, don't know if he was into it, but he stayed. A true gentleman and a genius.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

He, Billy Strange, and Segovia were the big three that showed me I wanted to play some type of guitar. His Gretsch's always dazzled me as a kid.

IMO, his artistry and gift were underappreciated because the non-musical audience couldn't appreciate the complexity of his playing but they could grasp the beauty.

He was, "The Country Gentleman."

7. Damn, another huge loss for music.
    Those fingers sure did some amazing things.

And we also have the loss of Joe Henderson today.

Two more greats gone.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    When did Chet die? I havent heard a thing on the radio or TV here about it. I mustve missed it....Im not a big fan of his, but my dad, my god, he was, he would play alot of his albums and always rave about how good a player he was. I can truly respect what he did, and it is a sad loss in the music world.

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    He died June 30, Cass.

I'm surprised myself that there was so little press coverage.

I don't remember so many great artists dying in such a short period of time, ever. Whoever mentioned that stars die in threes was being optimistic, it's sad to say.

Pkr2

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This just reminds me that you really have to go out and see the performers that you admire as soon as possible. I'm so lucky I got to see Jimmy Smith a couple of months ago, because as he gets older my chances become far and fewer. I certainly hope nothing happens to Jimmy, but it's too bad that I didn't get to hear Chet live. Too too many legends passing. It's too bad they can't live forever.

11. I was wondering if anyone can recommend an album that really features his best guitar playing. With 77 albums out, I guess that's a difficult task. To make it easier, what general area/time of his career should I check out? Like late 60's early 70's etc? I'm looking more for lots of instrumental jam kind of stuff.

I've heard lots of bluegrass guys speak of him with so much respect, but I'm not really familar with his work. I heard about his death on the news and they showed a 5 second clip of him doing the chicken-pickin' thang and it was pretty hot.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    These things always happen in threes ... Carroll O'Connor, Jack Lemmon, and now Chet. Guess I can breathe easy again.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What?! When did Jack Lemmon die?!?!?! I love that guy!!!

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    dont forget John Lee Hooker too. happend in 4's this time around.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [Fairy tale voice on]

But they do, Jazzbo. But they do...

[Fairy tale character voice off]

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ooooooooooohhhhhhh! Take me to the Mushroom Princess in the Emerald Forest. She is the Gate Keeper.

17. Atkins death has been covered in great detail here in Nashville on WSM radio, thank goodness. There will never be another like him. He took Mother Maybelle Carter's thumbpicking style of playing to a whole nother universe. In addidtion to his infinite contributions as a musician, he accompolished as much as a producer and record executive for RCA.
    I have a friend here that plays like Chet, in fact, he was hired by Jerry Reed a few years ago just to play the "Chet parts" on some duo guitar work. Trent