Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chevrolet Blazer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Paul A, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    Chevrolet are exporting the "Blazer" 4wd here to the U.K. (Right hand drive too!)
    Thinking of buying one - are they any good??

2. Being 16 and poor, I've never actually driven one. Here's what I know about them, though. Chevrolet doesn't make the Blazer anymore. It's now called the TrailBlazer, and it's supposed to be pretty nice. If, for some reason, they're sending you Brits the Blazer, I'd skip it. I've read that they suck. However, the TrailBlazer, and it's siblings the GMC Envoy and Oldsmobile Bravada, are much improved. The Envoy won Moter Trends SUV of the year award last year. My uncle has an Envoy, and it's really nice.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I own a '96 and it's running perfectly. They're built very tough. The newer ones actually drive more like a car than mine, which drives like a tank. You can actually measure the acceleration on a calendar instead of a stopwatch!:D j/k

There are some cool features even on mine, such as platinum spark plugs, meaning no tune-up for 100,000 miles. Maintenance on 'em is very cheap, relative to some makes, which is also very cool. They're solid, that's for sure!:D

I'd recommend one to anyone who wants one, but also would suggest you test drive and compare to other SUV's to see if one fits your bill better than another.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I drive a '93 GMC Jimmy, which is essentially the same thing. That thing is a tank! It handles better than any other SUV I've driven, has plenty of power, and plenty of room for all my crap.
    I have the two wheel drive, four door model, but it handles off-road just as well, if not better than most other SUVs I've been off-road in. My only complaint comes when I have to clean all those windows.

RAM...what engine does yours have? My Jimmy is plenty fast, and will out accelerate nearly any truck on the road...I can hang with Civics and Eclipses without a problem.

5. The old Blazers with the 4.3 liter V6's suck wind.

The new 4.2 liter inline six is much nicer, more torque, more hp, and revs more freely - overall a much nicer engine.

If SUVs are your bag, this particular platform seems to be a pretty sweet deal.

--jeff

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not really sure. I believe it's a V8 with about 205 hp. Does that sound familiar?

Believe me, this thing is SLOW!!! I came from a Nissan 240SX with a stick shift. That wasn't fast, but it was peppy, and could turn on a dime. When switching to this truck, it took a good 6 months to get used to it. One of the upsides is I can carry more gear. Another upside is that I rarely get stuck in snow drifts anymore.:D

7. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Thanks Guys,
    It looks like it's coming down to a choice between the Blazer or a Vauxhall (Opel) Frontera V6
    :confused:

8. The Blazer seems overkill to me, on any aspect. No matter what you want with it. Even a safari. Let alone hit the highway.

If you choose the Frontera, be sure to get the Frontera Wagon. It's muuuuuch better looking.

9. I drive a S-10, which is the truck version of the Blazer. I like it, since it has the ZQ8 sport suspension it handles pretty well. I even lowered it.

The Blazers (U.S.) all come with the 4.3 liter v-6. The Trail Blazer is a totally different vehicle, that is brand new. Both are in production, but I believe the Blazer is done in 2004 or 2005. The S-10's are also done, as they will be replaced by the Colorodo, which will be a Trail Blazer looking pickup.

I have no complaints, and have always liked the look of them. Always been reliable and tough. Take a good test drive and make your decistion.

jtbp

10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Au contrare mon frere!!

The Blazer that was introduced in 1984 and redesigned in 1995 is still in production and will continue to be for the forseeable future. In particular, the 2 door slant back that looks a lot like the Isuzu Amigo / Rodeo will continue on, since the Trailblazer is not offered in 2-door. The 2-door is smaller and lighter so the 195 hp 4.3L V6 moves it pretty good. It still doesn't have the pep of the 4.2L Inline DOHC in the Trailblazer (270 hp), but it more than holds its own.

Peace,

James

11. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    I own a Chevy '91 S-10 Blazer, and never had a problem.
    As the song goes "Like a Rock!" :D

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    The Vauxhall and Opel Frontera vehicles are basically rebadged Isuzu Troopers. They're decent enough, but from a quality (as in durability and reliability) standpoint, the Blazer is more robust. On the other hand, in Europe and the UK, parts are PROBABLY more readily available for the Frontera than the Blazer.

Paul A., check your PM

Peace,

James