1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chew on this....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Honk'n_down-low, Sep 7, 2008.

1. OK, I did search and not sure where this should be posted - but here is what I am trying to accomplish - not sure that this would be possible with one device.

I want to be able to:

1. Switch between two Basses with no adjustment (I know Tonebone does this and others) but there is more see below...

2. I want to be able to switch between two heads or run them together with the same input from either Bass to different cabs.

3. I want to be able to switch between Cabs and route the signal from either Amp or either Bass. So select an Amp and then the Cab and have the flexibility to choose one cab or both cabs.

So I want the flexibility to pickup up either Bass - select the Amp(s) and Cab(s).

So for Example - select my P-Bass, select the Amp (1 or both), and then the Cab or Cabs to send the output to.

Hope I have made this clear - from what I have seen I need at least a few A/B devices to achieve this if it is even possible. But I do know if it is possible that someone here on TB will know the answer or point me in the right direction (oh yeah and cost is a factor so I want the best and cheapest solution that maintains good sound). Thanks in advance.

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    An A/B and an A/B/Y would do the trick pretty easily, but there's "custom" shops that'll put them together for you into one box if you'd like. I'm sure someone else will post the links, I'm too lazy.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  4. I've been wondering if anyone make something that will allow me to switch between to Heads or pres with one cabinet.

5. Those will do it - but it gets pricey and then you have to manage three pedals and I wonder if they interconnect well?

Are the other folks custom makers? Do you have links for them.

Radial has one for each function wonder why they have not combined them - I can't be the only person that would like a pedal with these features. Thank you for the info!!!!

6. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    they probably werent combined for price reasons?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ah, you want to have the ability to drive yourself insane during a gig, I see. Well, they've got tools for folks like you, and don't worry...you'll find plenty of buyers for them when you get sick of it ;)

8. If a pedal was designed for this it would be an easy to use device.

I agree Jimmy but the flexibility is huge if you think about it a bit - to be able to take either Bass - electric, upright, active or passive and run it through the appropriate amp and cab or combine the Amps and Cabs.

Having three pedals to achieve this is not practical and I agree you would make yourself crazy being sure you have selected the right combination. And for me - I don't run any effects - it would be odd to have three switches to get what I wanted. But one pedal that did all of it - would be something in my opinion.

Aside from the flexibility for live performance - it would be a great tool for comparing Amps, Cabs and Basses when you were looking to decide between one piece of gear or another you would be able to A/B in every combination of Amp, Cab and Bass.

Right now I turn on the Amp and use my Fingers and tone knob:p

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What's wrong with that? There's no need to have every single tone in the universe from its original source on a gig. And any benefit from having all that stuff is greatly outweighed by the fact that nobody will ever notice any difference but you. That's the kind of stuff you do in the studio, not on a gig. Get a good basic sound, work the fingers and tone knob when needed, maybe add a couple favorite pedals, and you're gold. You start bringing multiple amp rigs and you're going to be babysitting gear all night instead of what's important...picking up chicks.

10. I have no idea how to make the circuits for it, but here's a basic layout idea, I think.

multiinout.

11. A lot of long cables means a lot more chances for noise to enter the system. And I'd be wary of switching the output of your amps just willy-nilly with a foot switch - doesn't seem like the nicest way to treat them.

12. Beachcoma

Beachcoma

Mar 19, 2007
    Utrecht
    Also, having high level speaker signals crossing in the same box as low level axe signals is akin to noise and a whole new level of other sonic pollution :D

13. Hey maybe you forgot - it is all about me :D If I am Happy - my playing reflects that and the audience shakes their booty! ;)

14. Boy you guys are an endless boat load of encouragement :rolleyes:

If I find this device or get someone to make it - you know you are going to want one!! :D

15. Now that's what I'm talking about!!! :hyper:

16. I use a Coleman Audio GT6 to switch preamps going to my poweramp and tuner...

http://www.colemanaudio.com/

That's it under the tuner.

IMG_7721.

17. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    that is hilarious.

sorry.

i love gear.... but really?

for really real?

John

18. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Jan 11, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario
    sorry, that was a bit harsh... but really. if you need a pedal to have endless combinations of basses, amps, and cabinets... i dunno.

plenty of people have expressed their incredulity at this idea...

i guess the wine is talking now... but the level of control and the number of options made available by a system like the one proposed seems to be totally useless in the practical arena of playing bass live... how many engineers are going to mic up three discrete rigs? would it ever even matter if one song sounds better through 12"s than 10's or 15's? it's still going through a mic capsule, a few hundred feet of cable, preamp, eq, compression, line amps, crossover, poweramp, and then mains....

as a purely academic exercise it is kinda cool... kinda like those lame rooms at GC where you can listen to 30 half busted pairs of studio monitors in an un-treated room... but in practical application it is useless.

wow.

sorry for the rant.

John

19. What about relay-activated cabinet switching? That could solve the problem of high- and low-level signals in close quarters.

20. It's cool you are entitled to your opinion (wine or no wine) - but gear is a personal choice - and I never question what someone wants or needs - the application could vary and if it works for someone that is what matters. Personally, I laugh when I see Bass Players with massive pedal boards - I am like your playing Bass - and realistically how many effects can you turn on in the practical sense of holding down the bottom. Not to say they are not useful and some people are incredibly creative with their application - but those talents are few from what I see. But hey lots of pedals look cool for sure :D

But never have I questioned someone for having any of it - cause if it gets them what they need or even think they need to play well and get their sound. I don't care if they back a trailer up and unload it.

I would expect Fellow Musicians to be more open minded - it is a simple idea that allows for a fair amount of flexibility - most of the time it would allow for one Amp or another through one or both cabs and provide the ability to change to a second Bass with no Fuss.

But just so I am clear - no intention here for a large drawn out discussion. The question was did anyone know how I can achieve what I posted. Thanks for the thoughts. I need a Beer : )