Chewing the New BP Fat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Sep 18, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Since each issue seems to get reviewed sooner or later;

- Their special coverage of the Fender Precision's first 50 years is mandatory reading for all P owners. The feature isn't just a rehash of what I've seen published

- The "How to Know When You Have Too Much Money" Award goes to the $60 Grammatone Gramma, a stand that raises your amp off the floor a few inches and has a handle!!!!

Award runner up may be the Yamaha Nathan East NE-1 they review. You know something's up when the highest rated aspect of the unit only gets a "4" and that's for "Electronics." After reading it, I still don't know what it really does.

- The "Get a Clue" Award goes to Elixir strings for its ad copy, "Your guitar is your friend....".

- Good to see the underappreciated Lonnie Plaxico get featured. Only bassist I know of who uses a Patterson. Nice to see innovative Sheldon Dingwall and his 37" B string get a spotlight, too. He got more ink than Bianca Butthole!

- That mid-high compression driver on the Hartke 4200 looks serious. Spec'd down to 30Hz....?????

- The $950 list ESP C-305 only gets tested on an Aguilar + Stewart power amp...yeah, I guess it was "easy to dial in a happening tone." :rolleyes:

Any other observations are welcome.
  2. I played a friend's C-304 through his console and recording monitors. It sounded like ass--and if it doesn't sound good direct, it's hopeless in a live situation where you have to go through the PA.
  3. cover story was great, and i liked 'getting to first bass' this issue.

i don't like the new fancy 'soundroom' design. the background pictures have the basses angled and fading out blurry so you don't get to see the whole thing.
  4. I found the fretting-hand technique by Adam Nitti very helpful. Less theoretical bull, and more stuff you can actully use in your playing!
  5. rickbass

Davy - Ditto! I've been playing since the Civil War and it was nice to get refocused on a basic, important aspect of technique, especially when it was so well explained.
  6. Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    Less theological bull, and more stuff you can actully use in your playing!

Theological? See this proves god prefers bass players!!!! :D
  7. oops. all better now :D
  8. I'll have to agree with the soundroom complaint... I thought the format they had was perfectly fine. They tried to fix something thats not broken.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I stopped buying it.

12$ for a thin mag that's 70% ads and non-descriptive reviews is too much.
    I still like the interviews, but that's not enough for me to buy it anymore.
  10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I'll admit that I usually turn to the Reviews first (I read magazines backwards--I don't know why), and the new layout is silly. "Let's keep the square cabinets and effects visible, but make half of the basses fade out into obscurity." Good going, guys. Between this new layout, and the fact that they referred to the plain-jane top of the Groove Tools 7 as "figured," the reviews are laughable, at best.
  11. I agree, with the above points, but I've never found a bass mag better then Bass Player. Guitar One? Yeah right. The odd bass review isn't enough to make me want a subscription. Rumble seemed okay, but I think its too short and they make too much of an effort to cater to the demographic they're aiming for. Other then those, I haven't found any better bass mags.

It'd be nice if Bass Player were comparable in quality to Guitar Player... which it should be, because they're put out by the same companies.
  12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  13. rickbass

That's good enough for me.

I think there's a whole lot of marketing smoke and mirrors going on with mids. Can't really, but want to say something nice about a piece of gear? Start talking about its "low mids" or "high mids." Sort of like talking about the "top of the bottom," IMO.
  14. Aguilar, etc? Nah, the soundroom should contain one beatup and ripped Peavey 150w combo, one old GK400RB head with the knobs missing sitting on a no-name 1x15", and a 15w practice amp. IMO.
  15. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    In Australia it costs AU$16.50 (which is expensive for a mag), it is always 1 month behind the US, and it is hard to find - only in certain stores. I only buy an issue with something that interests me. I happen to like looking at ads myself - keeps me up to date with all the new basses and amps.
  16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I recently subscribed to Bassics (6 issues/year for $29.95). It is a little thinner, needs some copy editing, but generally is a better mag, IMO. And, it comes with a cd of different things from the magazine. but, you only get the cds with the subscription--the ones in the stores (when you find them) don't come with the cd. I'm also about to subscribe to Bass Frontiers. I picked up some issues at Bass Central when I was in Orlando, and I like it enough to get it without having to search for it. So, there are some other options, but they are hard to find, and aren't quite as polished.
  17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ditto (though it's not $12 here), and you can usually read the interviews online for free.
  18. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I really like Double Bassist Magazine (made in england), but I guess it'd be close to worthless if you only played BG. The jazz articles might still be good though.