Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chi Cheng, Tobin Esperance and others

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blunk, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    Those guys don't play with picks, yet they get REALLY good tones for metal band bass players, anybody any ideas on their setups?

I'm sure there are other bass players like them, but the two i mentioned are the only ones i can think of...i guess Sam Rivers too maybe.

2. I know Chi uses a big assortment of P basses, many the Fender custom shop ones that have the same pickup configuration as the P-bass deluxe with just a volume knob. For amps I am pretty sure he uses Ampeg SVT2s into 8x10s. I like Chi, pretty cool stage presence when he starts flinging the bass around. Oh yeah, on White Pony they play down in C tuning or something like that so he uses some heavier gauge strings.

jtbp

3. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    I saw chi using also a green cabinet, but I don't know if there was also the green head.
    Really great tone!!

4. That isn't Chi's amp. That's Chino's guitar amp that he uses when he plays guitar in certain songs. later.

5. Dino

Dino

Jan 9, 2002
    Cagliari - Italy
    Are you sure??

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I doubt Tobin even knows how he got his tone,, the engineers probably processed it for him.

7. Blunk

Blunk

Aug 14, 2002
    What do you mean?

He's been a roadie for papa roach since he was 13 and been playing bass since he was 16. SO, i'm pretty sure he knows whats going on.

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Tobin esperance uses Lakland i think, i'd like to know if he uses any rackmount and what cabs he uses..his tone is very thick and lush.

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Tobin is actually playing his Laklands with picks now from what I'm hearing. I talked to him a while back when he played a show with my buddies band and he seems to have an idea about what he's doing in terms of tone. In fact he writes most of the songs for Papa Roach from what I've read. This may be a good or bad thing to some people.

10. Sergio

Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA
    Not to mention the fact the he is the main songwriter in the band. The guy definately knows his stuff. Awesome player.

11. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    He is really good actually.. i never noticed before, i only started listening to 'Infest' again, and i noticed how well he plays and how his tone sounds..

12. resurrection!!!!

i just saw papa roach tonight, and Tobin Esperance used this wah pedal that sounded freaken awesome... anybody know what he uses?