Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chi Cheng

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Robot-trashcan, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Hey, what do you guys think of Chi Cheng from Deftones? I saw them live a month or two back and was really impressed by his playing and performance. Talk people.

2. he's pretty good.

3. deftones rule!

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He´s really cool and Deftones are great...I´d like to see them live!...Too bad they probably won´t come to Iceland

5. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Deftones are quality compared to all the other 'nu metal' bands that fall into this catergory. I really like the band because they are in aleague of their own. Chi Cheng is an average player , Im not going to say he is amazing just because Im a fan of the Deftones , otherwise I would be lying. He has played some groovey basslines that are quite dub/reggae style such as 'My own summer' where it is quite in the mix. 'Change' also has a dub/reggae style as well which I like.
    Overall he is okay for the style of music he plays where the bass is always limited , but Chi does try his best to add his contributions.

6. I also think Chi is an average bassist, but I think his bass lines are some of the best. I enjoy the bass lines for the song, "Change". Well c ya!

7. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Chi rocks. I love the bassline in 7 words.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do you suppose his name is a play on "cha-CHING!"?

9. It's a good bassline.. but really boring!

10. Actually he had an American mom and a chinese dad so it's his real name. He is a Buddhist and was influenced by his American mothers Country music and his fathers Chinese music. He is unlike most other bassists, but he's pretty cool.

11. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    'Cha Ching'??? His genuine name is Chi Cheng , he is fully Chinese and I think he was born in America. He was also in the last Bass player mag , and he seems quite down to earth and real
    unlike many of the pretentious clowns who hold their basses upright and fight with it. No need to mention anyone.

12. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    i really like chi. he really inspires me when he plays live, even though he plays root most of the time. i've seen him play 3 times. ozzfest 99, that show with glassjaw at the palladium, and the "back to school" tour with incubus and taproot.

13. i love chi. deftones rule and he's one of the reasons why.

14. I like the guy, i reckon he is the only guy in the band who can perform live. I like his basslines, but to be fair, when it comes to nu-metal there are SO many better bassists that him

JUst to go slightly away from the idea of the thread, Iclandic guy, you do NOT want to see them live. I've seen them twice, and they were appalling. Chi was the only person i could hear, and his playing was solid. The others were all over the place and Chino Morino (spl?)'s singing was quite frankly appalling.

sim

15. I love Deftones, but Chi is surely no more than an average player. When I saw them live he was playing songs in 'C' tuning with a 4-string P-Bass, which gave him such a crappy tone, IMO. I mean the string was so loose it was virtually unplayable. Why doesn'y he use a 5'er if they're going to use low tunings? Im sure he could afford it.

Sorry to rant, I haven't got a real problem with his playing, and as I said, they're a great band. Chino's singing live is apalling, but then the guy is quite clearly stoned off his head.