1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

chi-sonic on a 44-01

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luka38, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Luka38

Luka38

Aug 12, 2009
    i was just wondering if it wa possible to order single coil chi-sonics and put them in my lakland 44-01 without any drilling. Are the single coil chis same width and height like the bartolini mk1 soap bars. the reason why i'm not planing on getting the humbucker chis is beacuse mk1 soapbars are split coil, so that woul mean, and i really like their sound, so i wouldn't want them to change the sound too much(and humbuckers are more expensive, im on a thight budged).
    the width of mk1 is: 3,4cm = 1,338 inches
    and height: 10,8cm = 4,25 inches
    so can anyone who has the single coil chi-sonics tell me what the dimensions of a their chis are. and can anyone tell me what the price of chi-sonic are, without the extra price for installing them, just thier price for ordering them. btw wouldn't this look cool :D
    4401chicopy-1.
    sorry for the lousy ps job, i was too lazy:)

2. Luka38

Luka38

Aug 12, 2009
    bump, come on i know that there are a lot of lakland users on this site

3. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Honestly you should probably just email the folks at Lakland. They'd likely get back to you within a day.

4. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    OK, I'll step out a bit... I dont think it is an exact fit but it has been done and if the gaps can be covered by a pick guard...

5. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    "Ask Dan and Carl" on YouTube (canĀ“t remember which part, though). No, the Chi-Sonics are not a direct drop-in replacement.

6. Luka38

Luka38

Aug 12, 2009
    i know that they aren't drop-in replacments, i know i have to drill 4 holes for each one unlike mk1 who only has 2 screws. But i thought it would fit in nicely, i know not perfectly.

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I actually discussed this with Leo at the last Lakland LOG event. The Chi's are slightly larger than the routes. They can be installed and will not leave a gap, but they will require some routing. I don't have a layout of prices without instalation, but I think you may be looking at about 200 bucks per pickup.

Also, as far as tone goes, Chi-sonics sound radically different from MK1 pickups. I would suggest listening to Chi-Sonic sound clips on the website. It won't be quite a perfect comparison since the positions are different, but listening to the decade sound clips and the 44-01 should give you some idea.

If you want direct drop in pickups, the Bartolini USA pickups in the MK shape will drop right in, and the Nordstrand big singles or dual coil pickups will fit in with the only mod being drilling in two mounting holes.

8. Luka38

Luka38

Aug 12, 2009
    so you are talking about the humbucking ones like in the decade model. and will the single coils leave too much room or just a little.
    i listened to those sound clips, and that's the reason why i want the chi sonics :D and because all of the people that played them say that they give that "boom" and that's exactly what i'm looking for.
    i probably still won't be buying them, got to get a bigger budged. And i saw MarkusBass's 4-94 with chis, it look awesome, but how is the neck pickup, does it sound like a p bass, mine 44-01 has it positioned exactly like a p bass, so i would like to copy that sound, with a bigger punch that chis give.