Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chic - Good Times tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Phunky, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    How do you play it? I've always belived it was:

E|---0----0----0-------0-1--2---etc

which appearently is a scale of some sort, but from seeing the Chic - Live in Budokan dvd i can clearly see that Bernard is doing:

E|---0----0----0-------0-2--4--- or something like that

what's the real deal?

thx

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here's the exact transcription of Good Times' bass riff. The tablature shows the way I play it (I don't know Bernard's fret and string choices). Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hmm... this tablature thing made curious and I gave a close listen to the recorded performance. I've just noticed that there's a short overlap between the sixteenth notes in bar 4, so it seems that Bernard also used the D string. I've written a new version of the tablature, which I think is even more accurate (no doubt about the pitches, anyway. They remain the same). Also added staccato markings to the eighth notes in bar 2.

[​IMG]

4. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
  5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I've just seen the tab stored in TalkBass' tab archive and must say respectfully that it's definitely wrong (don't know about the verse section. Haven't checked it). Same for "Le Freak", which I transcribed in its entirety long ago.

6. Good catch, I was going to point that out until I saw your correction. The ringing between the open A string and little lick above it contributes *alot* to the feel of it. Also the highest note (G on the D string) sounds like a quick hammer-on to me.

Also, I'm pretty sure the line is played in first position (that is, using open strings (open A) etc on the way up and back down, with the only notes above the 3rd fret being the two D-string notes in the final measure. Also, I could've sworn that the very last low E you show in the last measure is in fact an open A, but I could be wrong.

John

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW, I have always used the "D" & Open "A" for those couple of beats in the last bar.

I have always seen it TAB'd like Al's 1st example(A-string).