Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chic - live at the Budokan DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Mar 20, 2006.

1. I got this on friday (I've been looking out for a UK release for ages and the first i knew of it was when i saw it in Mister CD in Berwick St. for £10, heads up for londoners), DVD plus an audio CD of the show.

it's the last performance by Bernard Edwards (who died of pneumonia in his hotel room shortly after the show) from 1996.

he uses his "chucking" technique (thumb and first finger together like a pick) to play Dance, dance, dance, the rest fingerstyle with some slapping- esp. a short solo in Sister sledge's we are family.

he mentions having the "Tokyo flu" over the mic.
    Nile Rodgers' commentary about the unexpected poignancy of the lyrics to the final song "Just one world" leave a sad touch to the whole thing.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Whoa! I've been looking for this!

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Btw, who are the two female singers in Chic? I saw a 2002 video, and I thought the non-lead singer was extremely hot.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Let me know where you find it...I'm not seeing it at my usual sources.

5. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    You'll find the answer here:
    http://www.chictribute.com/index2.html

6. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Jill Jones http://come.to/jilljones
    Hotter than anything.

Prince has his hands on her.. umm.. carrier at some time. :D

I have this DVD and while it is said knowing this was the last Bernie's gig, at least he has a nice view on the stage..

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

As a warning to others - that link doesn't work - it just gives a load of spam and pop-ups!! :mad:

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I bought the CD of this concert about six years back, great band with Omar Hakim on drums. Anybody know what Tony Thompson has been up to, he was another great groover...huge kick!

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    From the allmusic.com biography of Tony Thompson:

"Tony Thompson passed away on November 12, 2003 [after a battle with renal cell cancer ], leaving a wife and two children."

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Oh man!.....definitely not the answer I was looking for.:(

11. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Sorry about you, but at my computer it works just fine, no popups or other bad stuff. :confused:

I just noted, my browser popup filter has worked hard to keep it clean for me. You are probably right.
    Btw I use Maxthon browser. Very satisfied (www.maxthon.com). Sorry others for OT.

12. yeah, I found myself a bit distracted by Jill Jones too :oops:

odd that there doesn't seem to be a US release- no sign of it on amazon.com