Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago, anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrich, Jul 24, 2001.

1. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I have recently moved to chicago (from west past the suburbs) and am now looking for a 2x10 to add to my rig. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I want to try out everything in my power so I can make sure I don't regret my choice. I've been to the GC in chicago, and Villa Park (although not for a while w/ that one) And this place called Guzzardo's in Rockford. What is the selection at the Sam Ash in Lombard? Are there any other places I could check cabs out at so I can get a full range to check out sound and price? (If it helps, I'll be in Chicago for another month, I live in DeKalb, and go to school in South Bend, IN where I will be again in a month, so anything around those areas.)

thanks,
    josh

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Welcome to Chicago, even if it's only temporary!:D I live downtown.

Anyway, it really depends on your budget and how far you're willing to travel. There are many stores that I know of, and a few I even would recommend.

Make'n Music is in the West Loop area, close to Lake and Western. They've got the best high-end selection that I know of in Chicago. They're also very competitive with prices you'd find on the web (though they're NOT on the web). They're really big into EBS, Aguilar, Eden, EA, and Ashdown (possibly others).

Another store I recommend is up in Evanston where I bought my Spector (when they were still a Spector dealer). It's called Flynn Guitars. They're a little on the arrogant side, but extremely helpful and extremely NOT pushy. Their selection isn't huge, but they do represent Peavey, EA, Epifani, and I think they picked up Groove Tools.

A third selection, that I used to be familiar with, is Roselle Music, which has 2 locations: Roselle and St. Charles, if I remember correctly. I haven't been there in perhaps 6 years. They were really nice to deal with as well, representing SWR and Peavey.

Let me know what you're lookin' for and I can see if I know of anyone else.:D

3. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    THANKS RAM!!

All that information is really helpful. Right now, I think some of that more high end stuff is gonna be way out of my price range, but i've never had a chance to try any of it so I would like to see what it sounds like. I have a pretty small setup. A 200 watt fender bxr head. But (surprisingly enough since we have a heavy rock band) it is plenty loud since we play mainly small shows, plus i'm only running it into one cab at 8 ohms so really only using half power right now. So basically I don't need something with enormous handling power, but I don't want a piece of crap either. I want something that will sound nice and clear with some punch and be rugged (i'm pretty big so weight isn't too big of a consideration for me). I'm gonna try out some of those stores (been to the roselle in st. charles, nice place but small). BTW, I live in wicker park.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wicker Park, huh? That's become quite the hip neighborhood as of late:D Enjoy it!

Anyway, I'm not too familiar with stores over in that area, but you can always try Guitar Center (talk to Bryan behind the accessories counter who might be able to help you out) on Halsted and Diversey. Their selection is, of course, big and Bryan's a knowledgeable bass player, not a guitarist who poses as a bass player to sell equipment:D

5. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks!

I know someone who works there who hooks me up every once in a while, but nobody who deals directly with bass. Some guy was helping me the other day and kept pushing me towards these cabs that I admit, sound awesome, but are just way more than I need or can afford.

josh

(well the edge of wicker park:)..my rent is dirt cheap!)

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A story I had was that one day I walked in there to buy something. I was bored and had a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in my wallet, clearly not enough money to buy a bass that would satisfy my Elrick or Status craving, but more money than just a chord or strings.

This guy (Bryan) sold me a bass pod, showing me all it could do, and really wetting my lips, etc. So, I took it home and decided it was absolutely the LAST thing in the world that I wanted or needed, since it's better in studio situations and I was looking for units dedicated to live stuff...

Anyway, I walked back into the store with it in the bag, walked right up to the accessories counter where he worked and he said to me in a stupid voice, "What's wrong with it? How could you not like it?"

My response was, in a firm tone, "How many reasons do you want me to list in front of your customers?"

Since then, every time I walk in, he gives me the best service, fantastic deals (like $16/set of DR hi-beams), his undivided attention, and he knows that I will no longer work with anyone else, including my old guitarist!

So, I agree that those guys are pushy, but if you let them know who's the boss, who's got the cash, and who can provide their commission, they'll work with you. Many of the guys there are just morons. Some are cool. A few actually know what they're talking about. Bryan's one of 'em.

7. jrich

jrich

Jul 10, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks again for the advice.

Here's my story.
    I walked in one day looking for pa speakers but had no idea what we needed at all. I told this guy jeff about our pa and that I wasn't going to buy anything but just wanted to know what i should be looking for. He was really helpful and gave me the stats I should look for on speakers.
    Went in a few days later when I thought he was working, and he wasn't. So I talked to some other guy told him the story. Except this time I had the manual (pa is too heavy to lug around public transpo) He glanced at it said it wasn't really helpful, and kept trying to shove 2 big speakers and 3 monitors on me (we can't even afford to get 1 monitor) Then he called me when they got a new shipment in and said "listen man, I'm gonna sell you this pa stuff. Just give me a call when you're ready to buy and have the pa that way I know what to set you up with"
    So I called before I went in next time to make sure the helpful guy was working, walked right past the other guy and said remember me, and he was like ya. I was like well I have the manual now and a little better Idea of what we'll need. He looked at the manual, said "this helps a lot, even though you could run the bigger ones, by the sounds of what you are doing, you could go with something smaller and cheaper and get better sound (all we need is vocal reproduction)
    I told him the other guy was pushing me into stuff i didn't need and I wasn't gonna buy from someone who was just looking for a sale. I was like, you've been helpful, so as long as you keep providing me with answers to my questiosn instead of a sales pitch, you're gonna get the commision from my sale, but I can tell when someone is "selling" me something, so I'll just go somewhere else if that happens.

He still recognizes me and i have yet to buy anything from him, but he's helpful when I ask questions even about stuff they don't carry.

I hate salespeople,

josh.

sorry i'm so longwinded.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Josh,

It's too bad that you had that experience! What I always try to do is my own research before even walking into a store. Then when I talk to a salesperson, I already know some of what I don't want. If they appear to be helpful, I'm happy to give 'em my business. If not, then I may sit there and waste their time purposely...it depends on the situation.

There was one time when a guy had nothing between his ears...in fact, he wasn't using his ears, so I'm guessing he didn't even have those;)

I had time to spare, so I told him flat out that I wasn't buying anything that day, but I'd come back (lie) and give him all sorts of business in the near future. I asked him to show me stuff and really took a lot of his time. Then I walked out and haven't looked back. I did get something out of the deal: more knowledge. He got something, too: a broken sale:D

I don't normally do that. But, I have once or twice. And, not just for music-related stuff.

Not all sales people are bad...most of my family has made a great living in sales and they've always done particularly well with repeat business (in fact, my dad's business relies on repeat business and word-of-mouth!)

It helps to be able to feel in control when you walk into a store. If the sales person becomes a consultant for you, then you're in good shape. If the salesperson becomes a sales clerk, then you're with the wrong store rep. It's good that you can figure that out so you don't get caught!:D