Chicago area Talkbassers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Herm, Feb 11, 2001.

1. There have been other threads about TBr's in other areas of the world. I just wanted to hear from the bassists from the Chicago area. I know of a couple of people from strings I've sold to you, but anybody else? Where about in the Chi town area?

I live in a small town called Island Lake, about 40 miles northwest of downtown Chicago.

[Edited by Herm on 02-11-2001 at 09:22 PM]
  2. I'm from Channahon, a little bit west of Joliet. I go to school at Cornell in Ithaca, NY, however.
  3. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I,m downstate now.(Taylorville,Il.) But I was born in Chicago Heights and Lived in Joliet for a while.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I know this isn't exactly close to chicago but i'm about a 3-4hr drive from chicago-my dad takes me up there everyonce in a while to go to a basketball game & look @ gear. Thats all
  5. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I'm located in northwestern Illinois, about 30 miles east of the Mississippi river, Quad Cities area. 3 hours maybe from Chicago.
  6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, as you know, I grew up in Chi-town area, but left a couple years ago. Did most of my club years either there, or in Wisconsin/Central Illinois/Michigan/Indiana.
    Jennifer, is St. George & the Dragon still running in Davenport?
  7. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    gweimer - Sorry, I've haven't heard of it. I looked in the phone book, but all I came up with is a couple of churches. :D
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a only 2 miles from Wrigley Field and work in the loop. I was born in Chicago and grew up in the north suburbs. And, I'm grateful, because there are so many wonderful places to blow my hard earned money on some really awesome gear in Chicago!

Herm...where in Chicago is the Lakland Factory? Do they have a tour of the plant?
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Woohoo! Chicago bass players!!

I'm from Arlington Heights (affectionately known as Action Heights) which is NW of Chicago.

Alas, I am up in the wilds of Green Bay right now for school... I must say it's quite a change. Apparantly our 8 story tall library on campus is the tallest building in Northern Wisconsin (or something ludicrous like that). It makes me laugh. A lot.

The Lakland factory is in Chicago?! Why am I just learning this now??
  10. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    The Lakland factory is at 2044 N. Dominick, which is west of Clybourn and south of Webster. I visited the factory when I was living in Chicago 6 years ago and Dan Lakin let me play quite an assortment of wonderful basses. I was looking to get into bass building but they were too busy to take on a fledgling apprentice. At least at the time, their production set-up was pretty basic: all the woodworking and assembly was done in one room, and finish work was done in another. I'm sure that with Lakland's success they've got a bigger operation going on these days. I know that Rob Elrick basses are also made on the North Side in Chicago...
  11. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    Herm, while I'm located in Wisconsin (about 35 miles from Green Bay) our band does play in Chicago on occasion at Famous Dave's on Clark(?).

Jennifer, have you ever gone to the Hornucopia fest at RIBCO? We have played that show for the last two years. If you haven't heard of it, its a festival where every band that plays (two stages, four bands each, two nights) is a horn oriented band. Good bands & Good times.

Winston, the operation at Lakland is still pretty basic thus the waiting list for new basses.
  12. Winston, you got it. Lakland is in the only industrial area left in Lincoln Park. Dan (or JP)will give you a tour, just make sure you call him first. In fact, I think Dan's dad just sold the building they're in to be converted into condo's. They are right on the north branch of the Chicago River. Very Hot property. I talked to Dan today, but forgot to ask him about it. I'm sure the property is worth many millions.

Rob Elrick's shop is in his house, in west Bucktown.
  13. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I had no idea that Elrick was in Chicago! Bucktown, huh? What a cool area! I love Bucktown! In fact, my fiance and I are considering Bucktown as a place to settle after our December 22 wedding! There are still a couple of affordable lofts over there!

Herm...where's your store? I noticed on another thread that you're now a Lakland dealer. I may have to stop by sometime when I step outside the city's boundaries sometime...

Laker...what's your band's name? I haven't been to Famous Daves yet, but my fiance lives just down the street and when I get out, either with her or some friends, we occasionally like to check out some live acts...I'll keep my eye out for 'ya.
  14. Store?,

I never really had a store, of the Brick and mortar type. My store was completely online. I had a "warehouse" at one point. The place where I stored strings and accessories, that had a shipping area. My dealing with Lakland will be a dropship thing, at least at first - until I get the capitol to actually start stocking basses.
  15. Laker

Mar 23, 2000
  16. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Sorry Super, but it's really known as Arlington Hurts - I grew up in Palatine (aka Pile-o-tin)! :D
  17. or aka Palastine.

Hee hee.

Sorry G.
  18. Although I don't live in Chicago, I do live in the mid-west (Kansas City). Kansas City, in my opinion is really boring, we don't have any famous bass makers or anything cool like that. In fact, we don't get most of the "high end stuff" like Laklands or Sadowskys or anything like that. We have a Mars but their selection blows. Oh well *sighs* :D
  19. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I'm in the NW burbs -- Herm and SuperDuck, check the Gigs/Events calendar, and come see me in March!

When YOU playin'?
  20. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, Eli, you guys doing jazz or light music? I was a cook at Mia Cucina for about 4 months. GREAT food! Everything made from scratch - especially liked the pizzas from the wood-burning oven.