Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago Bassists - Where is a good place to get a head serviced

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Boom, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I need to get some work done on my GK 800.
    I have actually not had to have an amp worked ever except a Carvin I that used to have but it was under warranty, so I am out of the loop of the best places for service of this type.
    I have the info for all the GK authorized service centers but this amp is waaayyyy out of warranty. Location is not an issue, although I would prefer not to have to go to all the way to Milwaukee. Any recommendations would be appreciated

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Must...fight...urge...to...insert...joke...here...ARRRRRGH.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I went to a place at Irving Park and Elston called Midtown Instrument Rentals and Repair and they did a hell of a job on my 400+. Very cool, reasonably priced and nice people willing to go the extra mile to make you happy. Their phone number is 773-588-7377.

4. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    COOL! :)

Thanks for the info and the #.

5. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Any joke you want, so long as you include the name of a place in Chicagoland that can fix my amp. ;)

6. Those service men (or women) usually operate later on at night, and have a set fee, just drive up, pull out yer head and hope they arent undercover :p

LAME :(

7. I've used Midtown before and I was happy.

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    +1

9. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Well, it sounds like Midtown does a hell of a job. I suppose I am going to be calling them tomorrow.

Thanks for the info.

10. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    A lot of people spoke highly of Midtown Instrument Rentals and Repair.

They were right.

To use project management terms, they came in under budget and ahead of schedule.

I wish I could take my car to them.

11. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    This would make a great sticky for each metro area! Here in Western NY, we've got Fliptops (I've never used FT for service, but they seem to be pretty well respected), and Precision Audio on Main just West of Transit. Jeff @ PA is really good, really busy, and really honest.

If you're shipping or near Flint, MI, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Craig @ www.NOSValves.com He's got a certain talent with tube gear, and will make just about any tube amp better than new. Let him know I sent you up front, and he'll throw you a bit of a deal if he can.