Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago bassists .....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Apr 8, 2005.

1. I will be in Chicago next week on business and I was wondering if there are any stores that might rent me a bass for a week so I can practice in my hotel room ????

My hotel is the AmeriSuites and its on South Fountain Square Drive, Lombard, Illinois (I assume this is near the downtown area but I'm not sure).

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You're nowhere near downtown in Lombard! I'm also not aware of any instrument rentals in town.

What are you looking for - a four or a five?

3. Haha. What am I in the suburbs somewhere?

I would settle for 4 or 5. I'm just starting out. Do you want to loan me yours? $25?

4. Hounddog

Hounddog

Dec 2, 2004
    Southern, Illinois
    Sadowsky Featured Artist
    Black n' Tan,

I work at a Power Plant in Southern Illinois and had to go to Elgin, IL. ( Which is a suburb of Chicago ) last week to our sister Power Plant. I didnt take a Bass with me but I went to Guitar Center right off of I-90 and hung out with the musicians and played a little. I had fun its a nice store and you can play any instrument you want. I think it is on I-90 and Auburn but dont hold me to that address. I am sure there are Bass players from that area that can give you better directions.

5. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    It is at I-90 and Arlighton Heights road, in Arlington Heights, a few miles north west of O'Hare.

6. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You are way out in the burbs. And, not in the good ones.

There is a GC in Villa Park, which is about 2 miles from Lombard.

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    "Not in the good ones"? Huh?

Really, just going to the Sam Ash and GC down the street is probably your best bet. Both are less than ten minutes from your hotel.

If you have to, buy a Squier your first day and return it before you leave!

8. Are you sh*ttin me? Should I bring a piece with me? THey won't let me carry one on the airplane!! :mad:

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Trust me, you'll be in one of the safest suburbs in all of Chicago. I have no idea where Joe is getting this from.

10. LOL. I guess Joey messin with my head. I bit the bait!

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...he's talkin' crap. Lombard is fine, as far as safety goes. Not much happens out there.

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I think Joe means that Lombard isn't a fun suburb, not a dangerous one.

If you have a chance, check out Park Ave. Music in Lombard. The owners and staff are really cool people. If I remember correctly, it's off of St. Charles Rd.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Total Est. Time: 35 minutes Total Est. Distance: 22.61 miles

Mapquest saves the day!

edit: This has nothing to do with renting an instrument, but at least you'll know how far you are from the city! :D

14. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Frankly, RAM and Heavy Duty, it makes me a little sad that the only person from Chicago that got what I meant was the guy who does'nt live in Chicago anymore.

Are you guys really old or something? ;)

Black 'n Tan, you may want to bring a piece but only to shoot yourself to avoid dying from boredom. That or call cab to take you someplace, the choice is yours really.

15. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    I suggest giving Dan Lakin a call to see what you can arrange. 773-871-9637

If nothing else, you can get a cool shop tour.

Good luck to you.

16. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I landed.

Well, theres a Starbucks for the morning .... :rolleyes: