1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Jake deVilliers, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    What the hell is wrong with the frickin Cubbies? Seriously, the Dodgers aren't THAT good, are they?

2. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    I'll be a lot of people in the Cubs organization wish they had the answer to that one. It's been pretty disgusting to watch. I'm thinking the pressure of knowing they have to produce is getting to them. I also think they need to trade a couple of their main players. Lee and Ramirez have had three post-season opportunities and have stunk up all three.

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes the Dodgers are that good.

Dodgers picked up Manny Ramirez and Casey Blake. (both came up in Ohio btw.) Huge gets. Pile them on top of Joe Torre, who has made it to post season more than the majority of coaches in baseball history and you've got a tough team to beat.

And they are the Cubs. You expect something different?

Regardless I don't think any NL team will get past the juggernaut of the AL. Pick any of those four and put them in a 7 game against any of the NL teams and it's all over.

4. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Well ... yes. They didn't get to the post season by flailing away at pitches a foot out of the strike zone and muffing routine ground balls. I'll give the Dodgers credit for being good - they are - but it'd be nice if the Cubs would man up and play 'em like they belong where they are. There's a big difference between getting beat and failing to show up for the game.

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yes the Cubs sucked in the post season even when they kicked ass in the regular season. That's totally predictable isn't it?

6. Do the cubbies have a lot of experience in the post season? Joe Torre does. I'll bet he knows all kinds of strategem to rattle the baby bruins. He's hazing the rookies.

And btw, the Dodgers don't suck completely for sure. Like or hate Ramierez he brings the wood.

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Dodgers are far from suck.

Manram, Garciaparra, Blake, Berroa, Fucal Kent, Kemp....and the aging but stalwart clubhouse vet hurler Greg Maddux.

These guys are heavyweights.

Not that the cubs aren't, they are stocked too. Two things not in their favor. They don't have Joe Torre and they are the Cubs.

8. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Manny has been amazing in a Dodger uniform. His shoetop homer in the first game is getting a lot of play but I was WAY more impressed with the grounder he beat out for a single. Jesus, ManRam looked just like an athlete for a moment there! :)

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    He has his moments no doubt. We here in the Land of Cows we love and hate manram. Like most great players the Ohio teams kick them to the curb just as they start to hit their stride. In postseason right now are Ohio baseball vets, Manram, Blake, Thome, Griffey Jr., Sabathia, Byrd, Casey, Crisp, and maybe more.

10. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Pinella has World Series experience as both a player and a manager. Several players have playoff experience, most notably Jim Edmonds. They've won their division two years running; you'd think being swept last year would provide some motivation for this time around.

11. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    But they are the Cubs.

12. Gufenov

Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Pretty hard to argue against that, isn't it?

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I think Pinella made a mistake by not pitching the Ace up front. Gotta take game 1 at home in a short series. They're now down two and the horse hasn't pitched yet. More than once in his postseason days he's made funny choices.

14. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    So...the Buckeyes vying for yet another national championship this year??....ooops, wrong thread.

The Cubs are finally feeling the pressure that "being the Cubs" puts on ballplayers. All year they've been pooh-pooing the historical "lovable losers" talk and, in general, being the condescending a**holes that alot of pro players seem to be nowadays. I almost hate to say it cause I've bled Cub's blue for my whole life (and I'm a south-sider), they don't look like they have the heart. Lou Pinella, for as good a manager as he is during the regular season, cacks in the post-season. Look at his record. It's abysmal. True, he's not playing the game but it's his job to get the players ready and in a mindset to win. They look like minor leaguers out there....and we've got Soriano for another 3 or 4 years at 18 million per.

Toad, Dempster has been the best and most consistent pitcher thay've had all year. I think they were right to start him. Z pitched a good game Thursday night but didn't get ANY kind of support.

Boys of Summer indeed.....

Man, I need to go get some of this frustration out.

15. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    "More than once in his postseason days he's made funny choices."

No kidding; his time as Mariners manager had me shouting derision at him many, many times. I thought the Cubs' pitching, especially that of Ryan Dempster from Gibson's Landing, BC :) ) hasn't been the problem and they're starting another BC boy next, Rich harden from Victoria.

Boston's BC boy, Trail native Jason Bay is also having a great post-season so far.

GO CANUCKS :D

16. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    :)

17. You can debate "why" all you want, but the above answer is all you need to know.

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    In that one phrase, you have described my feelings towards that team.

I don't follow baseball all that close. When I heard that the Cubs were being touted as a favorite to win it, I said "I bet they'll choke." So many people said "But this year will be different, bla bla bla." My response "But they're the Cubs."

It was pretty nice going past Wrigley on the Red Line and not having the train get packed to beyond capacity.

19. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Requiescat in Pace

20. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I hope that means, "they suck" in Latin.....:)