US: Midwest Chicago Get Together. LowDown Basses. Music Garage.

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by Tslicebass, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Tslicebass

Tslicebass

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Just throwing up a quick post to put the word out about a little hang/get together I will be hosting at The Music Garage in Chicago this Sunday.
    Deets.
    Where: Music Garage. 345 N Loomis, Chicago. Showcase room. 5th floor. (Street Parking)
    Times: 3.30-7 pm
    When: Sunday, July 24th
    What and Why: Come thru and check out some recently completed LowDown Bass Guitars. Also participating will be Michael Arnopol Soundworks Amps and Speakers. Should be a great environment to hang and checkout some cool gear. Attendees are encouraged to bring an axe if they would like for checking out the amps, however there will be multiple LowDown Basses available to play in various formats (4,5,6, fretted, fretless, etc). Some other special Chicago guests may be coming thru with some cool gear.

Attached Files:

GregC likes this.
  2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I knew something like this was happening sometime toward the end of the month, but didn't know when 'til last night. I'm a few hours away (more than that at the moment), but it would be cool to meet some Chicago cats... can't say for sure that I'll be there, but will explore the possibility.

For those who are not super-familiar with getting around Chicago (and might be coming in from out of town), any suggestions on where to park/how to approach the place?

EDIT: Duh. Says "street parking." Was thinking I might have to park a long way away and negotiate the public transport.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  3. NigelD

NigelD Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2013
    90/94 To downtown,exit Lake street. Proceed west on Lake to Loomis( between Racine and Ashland Ave.about 3/4 mile from expressway) Chicago parking sucks-bring $ quarters or credit card for the meter.(some areas are free on Sunday, not sure about that one).

4. Tslicebass

Tslicebass

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Parking around the music garage can be challenging but shouldn't be too bad cause it's a Sunday. I would check the side streets. Most the parking around there is free. There is a parking lot behind the building but I wouldn't expect too many spots to be open. It is right off the highway. Ogden exit from the north. Lake exit from the south.

5. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Thank you, gentlemen. Appreciate the insight. While I've got a steady hand -- nerves of steel and all that -- some of my few adventures with Chicago driving (and parking) have left me... almost tense. I'd rather fight off a pack wolverines with a chicken drumstick than negotiate some of the traffic I've encountered there.

6. Tslicebass

Tslicebass

Jun 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I hear ya. I've become numb to it by now. But whenever friends from out of town come in (or even the burbs for that matter) they are always amazed at the way people drive in the city.

7. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    NC
    It shouldn't be too bad once you get off the highway. Music Garage is in an industrial section that's pretty quiet on the weekends. And on that note, my recollection (it's been a few years) is that they have a parking lot, and that street parking is fairly easy to come by around there on a Sunday.

I plan to be there, probably a little after 4.

8. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Greg, are you the Greg I met there yesterday? If so, you and I could both use less obvious Talkbass code names. Er... I mean my real name is Phillip.

Thanks to Mike and Tim for putting this on. I arrived more than halfway through the GTG -- later than I'd intended. Between that and my slightly piggy urge to play everything, I failed to take full social advantage of the event, but still got to meet several neat people and to play around with the Tantra amp (which I barely scratched the surface of) and several of Tim's basses (all of which were pretty cool).

It was interesting to hear different people's playing styles and how they could make the same equipment sound completely different. One guy, Shawn, played with his Lakland jazz bass and I was like, "Wow, what tone that guy has." Really full and organic. I could recognize that he was a good player, but wondered about the bass, too. He mentioned that he tuned down a whole step. Then he picked up another bass -- the same one I'd just played, with different woods, different pickups, and in standard tuning -- and the same tone was there. Obviously, he'd flipped some switch or something that I'd missed.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    GregC likes this.
  9. ant_riv

ant_riv

Jun 26, 2016
    Darn, I just saw this!
    I grew up in Chicago and live just north of the city.

Oh well ......

Next time!

10. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Not sure, but I think there was talk of maybe doing something like this again at some point. The weather was nuts the day of the GTG -- 100+ degree heat, followed by rain, followed by various severe weather alerts, so the turnout was only so-so. Maybe drop Tim or Mike Arnopol a line?

11. Eilif

Eilif Grooving under the MDW runway.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
  12. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    I appreciate this -- I'm interested, and wouldn't have seen it otherwise.