Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chicago, Ill.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stu L., May 28, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    In about 3 weeks I'll be travelling to Chicago for a weekend. Does anybody know of a good "local" guitar store? I dont want to travel across America to visit GC or Mars. Something classy, ya know? I'll have about a day to kill, so maybe I could visit 2 or 3. And, websites and/or phone # would be nice. Thanks

Stu

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    There's a guitar center, and if you look in the yellow pages in a hotel or anywhere else, look under musical instruments, there are many shops in chicago, and around chicago, if you feel like a short drive, there is a place called The Music Source in WildWood (30 min). In Kenosha, WI, you could go too this huge place that sells all kinds of instruments, it's called the Music Center (60 min. worth every second) and on the way, on the side of the highway, there is a place called Gands, and you can go to pawn shops that sell all kinds of basses, new and used!

Hope that helped!:)

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Your location says hell, but you say Chicago. Which is it?

Anywho, thanks. Do you reccomend any particular store? Have you made any friends or anything you might want to support?

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Gands? Are you talking about Gand Music and Sound in Northfield? I'm of the opinion that if you want to go to a guitar store to jam for a little while and maybe gawk at some cool gear, I wouldn't go to Gand.

Guitar Center in Chicago has a location on the near-north side that has a fairly decent selection. That's not a bad place, if you don't mind GC.

If you want a truly high end store, there's only one, IMO: Make'n Music. It's located on the west side of the city, and if you have access to a car, it's a very cool place to check out some gear. Names like MTD, Modulus, Spector, Rob Allen, Lakland, Bergantino, Aguilar, Ashdown, and EBS grace their halls:D The thing is, if you have to rely on a taxi, I don't recommend going there...only do so if you have a car. The neighborhood is pretty bad. You can drive through it safely, and the store is in a secured parking lot with electronic fencing.

Unfortunately, even though Chicago's home to names like Rob Elrick (of Elrick basses, duh!) and Dan Lakin (of Lakland), Chicago's not much of a bass community, unless you're a Fender-type guy.

PM me and I'll give you more details. I live there too:D

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I would say go to Music Center in Kenosha Wisconsin, it's about an hour drive, but definitely worth it, they sell many different types of basses, a haven't made friends with anybody at the store, but they're honest people, I say Joe Stopka sent me (he goes there often) and then they say, "oh you know joe!, here let me show you around" I can get pretty slight discounts, and you can bargain and haggle with them too.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Like Ram said for highend try MakinMusic,if you want to check out a decent vintage store try Chicago Music Exchange at 3270-N- Clark.773-477-0830.have fun

7. please don't delete this thread, I've got it bookmarked!

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Gand's specializes in recording equipment. I bought my ADATS there. In fact, I was in Chicago this weekend and a friend told me that they "didn't have any guitars." Whether he was meaning "none at all" or "no cool ones," I don't know.

While you are there, go to Giordano's for a stuffed spinach pizza. You'll be so happy, you won't care if you see any cool basses or not.

Chas

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Gand does have (or used to) have a selection of basses and guitars. It's just not that extensive.

For pizza, there are so many places to go! Uno's, Gino's East, Edwardo's (even for a chain, it's one of the best), Bacino's, Lou Malnatti's (my personal fav), etc.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's like...one of the coolest!!! If you've ever wanted to touch a '61 Jazz bass, they've got several! How about a '51 P-bass? Vintage basses galore! I completely forgot about this place!!! It's primarily a vintage shop, with a few not-worth-mentioning new basses.

But, for the vintage freak, there's little better!:D

Oh...and, the best part is, the neighborhood is easier to access and is pretty safe. It's also about 6 blocks away from a GC, in case you're in the mood;)

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You can try Gary Gand Music in Highwood (?). It's just off I-94 and Willow Rd. I played a nice Fender Zone and a Brian Moore bass there not too long ago. And if you're interested in vintage, you might consider the trek west to DeKalb to visit Ax-in-Hand. I'd call first, though. I recently learned that owner Larry has died, and the store has been taken over.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's Northfield.;)

13. Would this be the inspiration for Ray's Music Exchange of Blues Brothers fame?

Keeping with the Belushi/Aykroyd theme, when you finish shopping for basses, you could get a cheeburger, chips, and Pepsi at the place that inspired the old Saturday Night Live skit. It's a real restaurant, but the name escapes me. Any Chicagoan help me with the name (I think it has the word "Goat" in the name somewhere?).

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The store that was called Ray's music in the blues brother is on 47th and praire and its still there,but it's original name is Shelly's Loan and the restaurant your refering to is called THE BILLY GOAT TAVERN.

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Isn't that near the famed Maxwell Street, where I believe that outdoor dancing to "Shake a Tail Feather" or whatever that song was took place?

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    And regarding the Goat, just look for the Wrigley Building. It's in the subbasement, reachable from Lower Wacker Dr. Don't bother with any of the other Billy Goat locations - they're Yuppie hangouts.

I spent many, many 3AMs there when I worked as a newspaper photographer in the early '80s. Great burgers!

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    No Ram 47th and Praire is farther south.the scene your refering to was shot near Maxwell street close to UIC its south as well like 1900-s-Halsted and HeavyDuty your right the better Bill Goat is the Original.

18. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I agree with most of what's been mentioned:

If you're a vintage freak, you can't beat Chicago Music Exchange on Clark. (Ampeg scroll basses! Yeah!)

For high-end, head to Make 'n 'Music -- and definitely heed the previous warning about the neighborhood.

If you must go to Guitar Center, I'd recommend the one in Arlington Heights rather than the Chicago location. (It seems to have better stock and more helpful / knowledgable salespeople.)

19. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Extremely OVERRATED burgers, IMO! The Billy Goat is probably still worth a visit, though, if only to say you've been there. The ambiance there cannot be beat if you're into burger joints with a fully stocked bar...

20. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So the old SNL skits where the guys talked about "Da Bears" and Polish sausage, they were lies? Chicago is known for it's pizza and burgers?

T.V. strikes again!:D