1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chicago Music Exchange BASSment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BooshBass, Oct 1, 2013.

1. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Anybody been?

2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yep! I went to the grand opening on Saturday. CME has stepped up their bass-gear game in a really impressive way, IMO. They have a few boutique brands I haven't seen elsewhere in the city (even Bass Club Chicago), such as Brubaker and Sandberg. They also carry plenty of stock from what I'd consider to be iconic brands that are harder to find at GC, like Gibson, Gretsch and Rickenbacker. They also had a wide variety of new Fender and Squier models, as well as their usual big vintage Fender collection. I liked the layout down there, too, the environment was very comfortable.

BCC still has many more choices on the boutique side (no Laklands, Sadowskys or Foderas, for example, at CME). And their staff has a lot of experience with high-end bass gear, while CME's may not yet. (I'm not sure.) But between the two stores, you have a massive collection of great bass gear to choose from.

3. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Yeah, I was there two weeks ago before the had the big bash (don't think much changed though). Its a huggee improvement.

I still think Bass Club Chicago has better basses, but CME has the selection and space/showmanship/jam rooms.

4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    When I was in Chicago a few years back I stopped in at Chicago Music Exchange. They definitely had an impressive amount of vintage Fender stock on hand. And the store as a whole has a very cool vibe. The next time I'm in Chicago I'd love to check out the new bass room.

I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to time my last trip so that I could check out Bass Club Chicago. Their website alone is full of some beautiful bass pron. In this case, maybe a little distance is a good thing!

5. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    Good to know. I used to go to BCC back in the day when it was over by Midway.

Do you know if they will be carrying the Brubaker Brute line? They seem to get a lot of love around here but I haven't had a chance to play one and have been wanting to see what all the hype was about.

6. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    I don't, but they're real responsive via phone/facebook or whatever. They keep tabs on what goes on over there and you'll probably get an answer back quick. Great guys, awesome shop dog too.

7. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    Very cool. I'll check that out - thanks!

8. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I need to get down there!

9. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I finally went. I have to say, I was very disappointed that they had not a single Ibanez bass. They certainly had about a million Fender basses if you are in the market for a Fender. And as already said, they had a few nice boutique basses. I was jamming on a few Warwicks that I really liked (is that considered boutique?)

I understand Ibanez does not get a lot of love, but I myself am a short fignered Ibanez fan. I'm almost fully decided on an Ibanez SR1205E, but I wanted to try out a few more - unfortunately not in the BASSment.

I have not yet been to BCC, probably going to head over there tomorrow. It looks supremely awesome.

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I am actually in Northbrook, IL for two weeks of work training. I might have to check out that store.

11. cmebass

cmebass Commercial User

Oct 20, 2011
    Dealer
    We actually just started carrying Ibanez recently! We're getting into the swing of things with them, so if there is anything you'd like to see, let us know!

Either way, thanks for the suggestion!

-BASSment

GregC likes this.